Author Topic: Replacement for ZA free?  (Read 43136 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Replacement for ZA free?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
Interesting article found this morning on Computerworld regarding security programs for Vista. Read here:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=windows&articleId=9012002&taxonomyId=125

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
I really can't understand why people are so quick to jump on New OSes, it takes time before software and driver support catch up.

Nice article though, just what were all these software vendors doing during the alpha, beta and consumer trial RC versions of Vista, just amazing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
...just what were all these software vendors doing during the alpha, beta and consumer trial RC versions of Vista, just amazing.

Agreed. I don't know what the other vendors were doing, but I think in Check Point's case, they were desperately trying to get their arms around the products they already have. Many problems with ZA.

To your first comment, I wouldn't touch a new Windows operating system until at least SP1. As far as I'm concerned, you're just an unpaid beta tester until they issue the first service pack.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 04:45:43 AM »
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 05:12:05 AM »
ZoneAlarm isn't Vista ready or compatible....  :'(

Come to think of it, Neither is Comodo. Does anyone have any experience with Vista's firewall? I've read that it's hard to configure it to block outbound traffic.

To justin, do you know that your e-mail address is being shown?

That is correct, Comodo does not support Vista, however when 3.0 is released (within the next month or so) it will support both 64 bit XP/Vista along with 32 bit Windows XP and Vista.

No I didn't, thank you very much for that, I believe its fixed now though :).

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 05:40:05 AM »
Hey justin, Glad to help and yes your e-mail is hidden now.

To Tech: Welcome back, you were missed.

To David: The only reason I'm going to try Vista is because I'm getting a free upgrade. If it doesn't work out I'll go right back to XP. If I had to buy Vista I'd just stay with XP.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:59:44 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 06:40:36 PM »
The new ZA Free now comes encumbered with an number of extras on a trial basis in the hope you will purchase the upgrade.

That's one of the reasons I continue to suggest 5.5.094 - All firewall, all the time.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
Many thanks to all.  I'm one more who's not exactly in a rush to switch over to Vista, so compatibility isn't really an issue for me.

As you can see from my sig, I've now switched over to Comodo.  Probably the nicest thing about it is that there's almost no learning-curve involved making the change from ZA.  Many of the advanced settings are beyond me, but the default auto-setup when installing should work just fine.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
Many of the advanced settings are beyond me
There is a free forum and some of us use Comodo too... so, feel free to ask.
Do you use any P2P application (they need special firewall configuration)?
The best things in life are free.

justin1278

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
Many thanks to all.  I'm one more who's not exactly in a rush to switch over to Vista, so compatibility isn't really an issue for me.

As you can see from my sig, I've now switched over to Comodo.  Probably the nicest thing about it is that there's almost no learning-curve involved making the change from ZA.  Many of the advanced settings are beyond me, but the default auto-setup when installing should work just fine.

Glad you are happy with Comodo, there is a support forum the link is below.

http://forums.comodo.com

Justin

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the info about their forums, although I'd already found them myself, same as I found the forums here after first getting avast.  Whether I'll be active there is a who-knows, but at least I'm registered and bookmarked it.

And no, I don't touch P2P (took out avast's P2P provider for that reason) -- probably the only thing I might be interested in it for would be videos, but not on dialup.  And I infer from Tech's comments that without P2P, the default settings should be just fine.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 01:14:49 PM »
MikeBCda,

I see in your signature that you only have 256mb RAM, so I think PC Tools Firewall Plus would be a better choice for your computer as Comodo too much RAM.

I have 2.2ghz Celeron with 512mb RAM, but Dell Hell reserves 64mb for video.   PC Tools Firewall Plus doesn't slow me down as it only uses 4mb RAM (4096kb RAM).  Comodo is a drag.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall  http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

drhayden1

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »
pc tools firewall free is a very lame firewall-fails the shields up test big time-advise-stay away from it ;)
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
click on proceed...then next page-all service ports to test 8)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:28:32 PM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 01:37:52 PM »
pc tools firewall free is a very lame firewall-fails the shields up test big time-advise-stay away from it ;)
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
click on proceed...then next page-all service ports to test 8)

Every time I do Shields Up, PC Tools Firewall Plus passes Sheilds Up with default settings.  I wouldn't use it if it didn't pass.  That includes "click on proceed...then next page-all service ports".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:43:22 PM by rdmaloyjr »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »

Every time I do Shields Up, PC Tools Firewall Plus passes Sheilds Up with default settings.  I wouldn't use it if it didn't pass.  That includes "click on proceed...then next page-all service ports".

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-03-03 at 12:48:13

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
 1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.