Author Topic: Disabling avast! shell integration - Turning off "Scan x file"  (Read 5398 times)

onetimeq

Is there a way to turn off the "Scan this file" option in the menu when you right click a file in explorer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Disabling avast! shell integration - Turning off "Scan x file"
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:11:52 PM »
Yes ;D
:
:
:
:
OK then, Program settings, Common, Show Explorer Extension.

Might I ask why you want to do this ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:45:34 PM »
That option only hides the icon (shown next to the menu) - not the context menu item itself.
No, as far as I know, it's not possible to disable this option completely.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:35:29 PM »
Thanks Igor, I saw that thw icon wasn't there but didn't look closely at the right click text.

I'm not sure if something like tweakui has something to remove context menu entries, presumably by altering the registry ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:39:46 PM »
Yes, you can modify the registry (I believe I described it somewhere long time ago) - but I'm not sure if avast! setup won't put the keys back on program updates, for example.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:06:14 AM »
Is there a way to turn off the "Scan this file" option in the menu when you right click a file in explorer?
You can use special tools to edit the context menu.
A good one is ContextEdit, Version 1.1
http://www.pcmag.com/utilities/ or http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1556349,00.asp

ContextEdit lets you control which items appear on your context menu--the menu that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows Explorer. The context menu often contains numerous rarely-used commands. These commands come from one of two places: shell commands stored within the system Registry, and context menu handlers. The source of the menu item is transparent to the end-user, but still has an impact. Windows Explorer lets you add or remove simple shell commands, but gives you no control over context menu handlers. ContextEdit lets you control both types of context menu items. It also allows you to disable context menu items without removing them entirely. Another unique feature is the ability to add shell commands to all files regardless of type, or to all files without an associated program.
The best things in life are free.