Author Topic: SBS2k - Avast error message on startup  (Read 12913 times)

kdoerbecker

SBS2k - Avast error message on startup
« on: February 10, 2004, 03:17:09 AM »
I am using the trial version of Avast for SBS 2000. After starting the server and logging into the administrator account, I see a pop-up message titled: "avast! Mail Scanner Warning". The message displayed is: "avast! will not be able to protect outgoing mail (SMTP protocol) Error 10013"

There is no further explanation as to what this means. Can you give me some direction??

My servers Exchange is configured to send outgoing mail to an SMTP server at the ISP I use to connect to the Internet (DSL)

Thanks,
Ken

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:SBS2k - Avast error message on startup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:00:25 AM »
First, you are using avast! Server Edition, right? (NOT the Professional Edition).

Second, have you completed the Server Deployment Wizard that poped up after you rebooted after installation? If so, you were asked whether this is a Terminal Server or not. I guess you selected 'not a terminal server', and clicked Next, and you were given the chance to enable the desktop providers. It seems to be that you have enabled the Internet Mail provider although you're running on SBS.

This is unnecessary. The Internet Mail provider is meant for desktops only. To protect Exchange, you would use the server plugins (the Exchange 2000 and SMTP 2000 providers).

So to make long story short, you can rerun the the Server Deployment Wiz (it's in the avast group of Start menu), select Normal server, and not select the Internet Mail provider; from the same page you may also start the 'Mail Protection Wizard' and choose Remove protection from all mail accounts.

This should completely get you rid of the Internet Mail provider that is displaying this warning. It's no really wonder that it is displaying it in your case because it works as a local SMTP/POP/IMAP proxy and you already have Exchange installed on that machine so the ports are already occupied.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kdoerbecker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 12:20:03 PM »
Vlk,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I followed your directions and no longer get the error message. Thank you.
As I run the Server deployment Wizard, I noticed that Exchange, SMTP, Portal Server, in fact all the "plug-ins" on that page are greyed out. It would seem that they should be checked and running, no? Did I fail to download and install all the modules I need to properly protect my SBS 2003 server? Guess I need more advice.
Thanks in advance,
Ken

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 12:54:07 PM »
You appearently didn't install them. No problem.

Fire Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> avast! Antivirus, then select Change and add them. For SBS, you'll want

MS Exchange 2000
MS SMTP 2000
MS ISA 2000 (if it's SBS2K or SBS2K3 Premium)

Thanks
Vlk

kdoerbecker

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 06:21:58 PM »
Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. ;)
I also installed Sharepoint Server 2003, although you didn't mention that. Hopefully that was OK. ???
Ken

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 06:34:49 PM »
Well you should have the SharePoint 2003 software installed in this case.

I mean, Win2K3 server only ships with Windows SharePoint Services 2001 with which avast (or any other AV to my knowledge) cannot work due to lack of antivirus APIs.

Here are the system requirements of the avast SharePoint module: http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1324.html (please note that SharePoint Portal 2001 is not equal to Windows Sharepoint Services 2001)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:36:32 PM by Vlk »