Author Topic: Email scan with new DSL service.  (Read 2753 times)

WallyGator48

Email scan with new DSL service.
« on: March 03, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »
Greetings All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been using Avast Home since last November. Great program!

I've done several searches of the Forum without any results, so I am looking for some guidance from the many knowledgable members.

I've just recently installed ATT DSL service and I have several questions.

Prior to DSL I was using a dial up connection. Whenever I would send and receive emails, a small blue light would come on in the lower start tray until the process was complete. Now with the DSL service,
that  blue light never appears. I'm assuming that Avast is not scanning incoming and outgoing messages. If that's the case, what settings do I have to change to have this function enabled?

Also, now with my DSL up and running, is there anything else I have change within Avast to assure that my system is protected to its maximum?

Regarding a firewall, should I install something other than XP Pro's standard issue?

Any suggested would be greatly appreciated! Thanks  :)

WallyGator48

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Email scan with new DSL service.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Have you checked the Internet Mail provider, details, Last scanned: and Scanned total: fields they should have values in them and be constantly updated as you collect or send email ?

Also does the avast ( a ) icon rotate when you are sending or receiving email ?

Is your Internet Mail, Customize, Advanced, 'Show tray icon when scanning mail ticked ?

Change the Update (Connections) to My computer is always connected to the internet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WallyGator48

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:10:31 PM »
Thanks for you response.

No, the avast icon does not rotate when sending or receiving email.

Yes, 'Show tray icon' when scanning mail is ticked.

'Update connection' is ticked always connected to the internet.

Don't know where to check the Internet Mail provider details.

Also, I noticed that under Avast On-Access Protection Control, Internet Mail, Customize, Redirect, the Pop setting is 110 and Smtp is 25. My Outlook Express settings are, Pop 995 and Smtp 465. When I change the settings in Avast On-Access Protection Control to match my Outlook Express settings, the small blue icon comes on and remains on. I no longer can send or receive emails. I changed settings back and email functionality returns.

Any other thoughts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »
Double click on the avast ' a ' icon (or right click the icon and select) the 'On-Access Protection Control' window will pop-up, if yo see a Details... >> button click it to show details of the Providers, select the Internet Mail provider. They are there you have obviously reached that point as you have gone past it by clicking on the Customize button.

Also, I noticed that under Avast On-Access Protection Control, Internet Mail, Customize, Redirect, the Pop setting is 110 and Smtp is 25. My Outlook Express settings are, Pop 995 and Smtp 465. When I change the settings in Avast On-Access Protection Control to match my Outlook Express settings, the small blue icon comes on and remains on. I no longer can send or receive emails. I changed settings back and email functionality returns.

This is the crux of your problem, your email ports are SSL/TSL, secure encrypted email and avast doesn't/can't scan encrypted email. That is the whole point of SSL secure email to keep prying eyes out. The blue icon comes on and stays on because it can't scan the encrypted email so it is effectively hanging.

If you want avast to scan encrypted email you nee a third party interface (freeware) like STunnel. This isn't a simple thing to set-up by all accounts, but these topics should help.

Gmail and Avast Providers
Solution: Using GMail with Avast and a SPAM filter
Redirecting multiple SSL accounts
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:54:31 PM »
I'm assuming that Avast is not scanning incoming and outgoing messages.
To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS XXXXXX-X, XX/XX/2007), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)

You can test the security of your email system here: http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

To see the Standard Shield and other protection:
1) Is the 'a' blue icon swirling?
2) Right click the icon once and see what are the 'last scanned files'...
3) Use eicar virus test.
The best things in life are free.