Author Topic: Problems with windows defender after 4home download.  (Read 5177 times)

laptop

Problems with windows defender after 4home download.
« on: March 03, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »
I am new to windows/pc former mac user(may go back) My McAfee trial expired and a friend of mine recommended avast, so I downloaded it last night. Now I have a windows security alert (shield with red x) and windows defender problem. Error states Program can not check for definition updates, 0x80240029
Security Center states windows defender out of date when I click update I get a message Security Center can not update definitions for Windows Defender.
I have windows Vista Home basic. Currenty on dial up.
I browsed through the forum but I did not see this problem, what is my next step?
Thanks in advance.
CB
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 06:16:34 PM by laptop »

MrRAlan

Re: Problems with windows defender after 4home download.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
Did you make sure to properly uninstall McAfee before installing avast?

laptop

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
I uninstalled McAfee after I downloaded avast, I did not see any instructions to do so before downlading? cb

MrRAlan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »
It's okay to download avast first, but did you uninstall Mcafee before installing avast.

laptop

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
No, I uninstalled after.

MrRAlan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
That could be your problem, not sure.  I've always found it better to remove your previous version of antivirus first.  I would uninstall avast and see if everything else starts to work again.  If so, then I would reinstall avast.  You might want to try to find a mcafee uninstaller and run it after you uninstall avast to make sure it is totally removed.  Try a google search and see if one exists.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 06:36:55 PM »
No, I uninstalled after.
Bad...
To remove McAfee you need to do via Add/Remove and then the manual removal of the registry keys left behind with their on-line instructions.

They've released VSCleanupTool (http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe) to do that either, just go to http://www.us.mcafee.com and click the Tech Support tab (provide your version number in Step 1 and select install/uninstall in Step 2). You can go to their user forum at http://www.forums.mcafeehelp.com if you should have problems or questions.
Check http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20560.msg172602#msg172602 also.

You can find many free versions of these registry cleaners here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwregtools.html
The best things in life are free.

laptop

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
Tried to run VSC clean up tool, error windows can not find mccleanup.exe. Why would McAfee upset windows defender wouldn't downloading avast with defender as opposed to McAfee cause problems too? Why would the registry cause problems for defender,could someone explain the cause of why defender wont download the definitions? . I spend more time worrying about a damn virus than I do using my pc. Should I uninstall Avast?
cb

I went to McAfee site ran uninstall tool MCPR.exe. to remove all McAfee supported products. Appeared to be succesful, but I still have a Windows Defender problem as described?
cb
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 09:13:21 PM by laptop »

Spiritsongs

Proper McAfee Removal Tool
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
 :)  Hi :

McAfee has 2 different "Removal Tool(s)", based on WHICH years product
     you have !?  "Tech" seems to always quote the one for the 2006 product;
     IF you had their "2007" product, you should "replace" the "VSCleanupTool"
     with "MCPR" and run that .

Since McAfee does NOT seem to be COMPLETELY REMOVED from your
      machine, it seems best to uninstall Avast, including the use of its
     "Uninstall Application" if necessary. See the info at
      www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html  .

Have heard that "Windows Defender" is "built-in" with the Vista OS !?
      There are better antispyware/antitrojan programs; it is possible to
      "disable", perhaps "uninstall" this program ? There are quite a few
      experiencing problems with the new Vista OS and the "Security Center"
      has proven to be unreliable in the past; there has been several threads
      on this Forum about the "Security Center".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
"Tech" seems to always quote the one for the 2006 product
Sorry. I've updated my knowledge bank... 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »
And mine ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

laptop

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »
Well, I turned off security center auto updates and manually ran update for defender and it updated the definitions. I turned auto update back on and, so far, all is well. I guess I'll find out when it tries to update again. Am I just doubling up on my protection using both avast and defender and really do not need defender? What else should I get to protect the computer?

When I down loaded avast it installed a short cut on to the desktop. When I double click it a dialog box comes up and performs some sort of "memory check"? what is it doing? Also a control panel pops up, am I supposed to manually check the drives? Does avast automatically check everything? I'm not quite understanding the basic help pop up is there a user friendly description of how to fully use this software? Any info is appreciated and thanks to those who have posted help.;D
cb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:24 AM »
Am I just doubling up on my protection using both avast and defender and really do not need defender? What else should I get to protect the computer?
Doubling is too much... increasing, maybe. I really doubt that Windows Defender could caught anything different than avast. But, I know, there will be tons of avast users against me in this opinion...

When I down loaded avast it installed a short cut on to the desktop. When I double click it a dialog box comes up and performs some sort of "memory check"? what is it doing?
Scanning the RAM (memory)... It's the splash screen. You can disable this test on the settings.

Also a control panel pops up, am I supposed to manually check the drives? Does avast automatically check everything?
On-demand you need to chose the area (what) you want to be scanned.
On-access, yes, avast scans everything.