Author Topic: Turbo scan speed  (Read 2881 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Turbo scan speed
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
4.7.942 was supposed to scan faster. How much faster? How about 50-60%?

When i used to do a thourgh scan with all files and archives, it would take about 1hr 10min - 1hr 20min. This time it took 27 min.  Scan speed was 2.3 mb/s compared to 800 kb/s.

This is scanning the same hard drive, the only difference is the proccessor, I'm now using is 100mhz faster than before and 72mb more ram. These two changes would account for some of the difference, but the actual speed of avast definatly has improved.

Good stuff!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Turbo scan speed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:34:38 PM »
I only saw a very slight performance increase about 8% but much of the performance increase comes with Intel Core 2 Duo processors as the code has been optimised for that processor.

Extra ram and faster processor might make a difference allied with the scanner improvements it would make a noticeable difference, but I wouldn't have thought this would be i the order of 50%.

You can't have much on that system if previously a thorough scan with archives only took 1hr 10-20 min. A standard scan without archives on my system takes just under 9 minutes and the data scanned is 6.1 GB a thorough scan with archives would be scanning much more data and take considerably longer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:27:47 AM »
Well it really surprised me too. I usually just start the scan and come back about an hour later and check on it. I can usually tell by what file is being scanned about how much is left.

Now, maybe, my old proccessor was starting to die and it wasn't really running at 500mhz. I checked the settings for the task about 10 times to be sure they were set the same as I always set them.

You're right, there really isn't a whole lot on this computer, about 4.3gb. 3.8gb scanned with indenties folder excluded.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
The announced speedup won't be that big - especially because a big part of the scan is due to disk access, and not CPU processing (i.e. this part won't change).

So, my guess is that the data on your disk changed, or you changed the settings (sensitivity/archives) of the scan.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:28:45 PM »
Don't know what else to say. settings are as follows.  Types -All files,content, Sensitivity - test whole files, Exclutions - Indenties\*. Packers - all packers.

The big difference I noticed was the scan speed 2.3 mb/s compared to 800kb/s.

This box does have 512 cache and I think the other one was 256. It's the same hd, with probably a little more data on it. I had to install audio/video drivers.