Author Topic: Fine-tuning Avast! with Thunderbird  (Read 4338 times)

raananb

Fine-tuning Avast! with Thunderbird
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I have Avast! Home edition 4.7 set to work with Thunderbird on Win XP Sp2: Tools/Options/Privacy/Anti-virus it set to allow anti-virus clients to quarantine individual incoming messages.

Currently, with Avast! resident protection active, when I mark a message as 'Read' it takes about 3 seconds before control returns to Thunderbird. When a message is deleted (that is marked as deleted and copied to the Trash file) this can take from 4 to 7 seconds.

When Avast! resident protection is stopped, these actions are instantaneous.

Is there a way to tell Avast! to ignore actions on messages within Thunderbird?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Fine-tuning Avast! with Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Hi raananb welcome to the Avast forum

What version of TBird are you using?

You could try going to Tools/Options/Advanced  Under general change the setting.......Wait X seconds before marking a message as Read.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

raananb

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »
The problem is present with both Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 & 2.0pre.

Tools/Options/Advanced is for automatic operation. I have no issue with that.

My problem is with manual marking, both through the Read button and the menu (Select a message, right-click and then select Mark/as Read).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
When Avast! resident protection is stopped, these actions are instantaneous.
Just for curiosity, which is your Standard Shield security level? High or Normal?
Is this provider set to scan open/save/modified files or not?
The best things in life are free.

raananb

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 02:41:51 PM »
Standard Shield is set at High.

Scan files on open is set

Scan created/modified files is set for All files

When All files is changed to Only files with selected extension and Default extension is set the processing delay disappears.

Level then goes to Normal.

This seems to solve the problem.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:51:49 PM by raananb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »
Normal is the default sensitivity and provides a balance between protection and performance.

Also it is recommended that you don't use the inbox for general email storage but like a pending tray on your desk, once read move them to a more relevant folder. This keeps the file that the emails are stored in to a small size, which should also speed things up. You should also periodically compact your folders.

I'm not a thunderbird user but this information has proved effective in other forum topics relating to thunderbird.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »
Standard Shield is set at High.
That's the culprit.
Besides setting to Normal (the default), I also suggest you uncheck the options for scanning each open/created/modified file to improve performance.

When All files is changed to Only files with selected extension and Default extension is set the processing delay disappears. Level then goes to Normal. This seems to solve the problem.
Ok... you've find the way...
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:16 PM »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 07:30:53 AM »
alanrf suggestions are spot on as usual Xpunge is an excellent TBird addon.

As a short cut to marking messages as read. Select the message/s you want to mark as read ** individual selection hold down the Control key select messages/or group selection hold down the Shift key select and hit the M keyboard key.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!