Author Topic: Suspicious site for malware detected. What to do?  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Westcoast19

Suspicious site for malware detected. What to do?
« on: May 09, 2021, 06:49:58 PM »
I was browsing the internet on my android phone via Chrome when a pop-up alerted me of a suspicious site. I immediately closed the browser and looked at the Avast mobile log. It said the web site in question "has been reported as a malware site." I tapped scan (Avast mobile free version) and it said "no threats detected." Just to be on the safe side I restarted my phone, ran another scan, and got "no threats detected" message again. I'm assuming no malware is on my phone now, but I wanted to ask people here if there is anything else I should do to ensure that my smart safe is malware free? Thank you for advice in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Suspicious site for malware detected. What to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »
Essentially the Avast Web Shield has blocked the site from loading, preventing anything coming down to your phone.

Was this site one that you had intentionally connected to ?
Or was it one redirected from a site or perhaps an add-on/extension in chrome ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Westcoast19

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:00:10 AM »
Thank you for your response.The web site was among those listed when I did a search on Google. The pop-up appeared when I tapped on the URL to go to that site.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 03:20:47 AM »
Thank you for your response.The web site was among those listed when I did a search on Google. The pop-up appeared when I tapped on the URL to go to that site.

You're welcome.

If a popup appears unsolicited, I would advise just to close it and never click it as you have no idea where it is going to take you.

Having done a search you should just get a list of matching results.  If a popup occurs when you click that link a popup appears, there is some underlying redirection going on (commonly ads, but could be a malicious redirect). 

The fact that Avast alerted when you clicked the link means Avast has prevented you connecting to that link/site and preventing anything being downloaded to your mobile.  So you should in theory be OK, having run some scan appears to confirm this as nothing was found.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anselm547

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 03:57:10 PM »
I am in a similar situation. What to do?

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 10:32:32 AM »
If you have since scanned your phone and nothing found, then the shield has done its job and protected you.
Same as DavidR Reply#1 above