Author Topic: An Error Has Occurred while attempting to update  (Read 8812 times)

REDACTED

An Error Has Occurred while attempting to update
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
I have been having this message pop up for some time and have tried fixing it with out any luck.  HELP!

Karri

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: An Error Has Occurred while attempting to update
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Need a little more info. OS, any other security programs, firewall previous av and how it was uninstalled, and what is the exact error message.

If you have a firewall, does it allow avast.setup access to the internet.

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:27:50 PM by oldman »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »
When does this occur? Just after login or at any time?
Can you manually update avast or not?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »
My operating system is Windows XP, and I have turned on the windows firewall on right now because my windows security alert is showing that my Avast anti virus might be out of date.  My subscription is good until July 2007.  I have allowed Avast access to the Internet. 

This is occuring randomly at any time.  I am not sure if it is updating or not manually.  I hit enter, but I am not seeing anything happening.  The error log says:

System 1740 AAVM - scanning, error: X_Aavm Check.....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
Check the system date, particularly the day month and year and correct if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tls

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »
. . . I have turned on the windows firewall on right now because my windows security alert is showing that my Avast anti virus might be out of date.  . . .

Avast is an anti-virus only; you still need to use a firewall with avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »
I am running a seperate firewall.  Avast is not allowing me to manually update.  How do I find the System Date for VPS and How do I update it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
Double click the clock/time at the bottom right of your screen.

If the date is incorrect, correct it and try a manual update again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
The date is correct and Avast is not allowing me to do a manual update.  Also, when I tried to send the file to VirusTotal, I was told the file is not there.  I did not put it in the virus chest. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:15:26 AM »
The date is correct and Avast is not allowing me to do a manual update. 
Can you copy the exact error message ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

Also, when I tried to send the file to VirusTotal, I was told the file is not there.  I did not put it in the virus chest. 

Where has this come from you made no mention of this, why would you want to send it to virustotal ?
What is the file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\suspect-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »
The date is correct and Avast is not allowing me to do a manual update.
Please, check the log files (or post here the last 100 lines of the logs):
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 04:17:45 AM »
I am running a seperate firewall.  Avast is not allowing me to manually update.  How do I find the System Date for VPS and How do I update it?

@coolcalculations

To check your current vps and program version, right click the "a" icon near the clock, click about avast.

Also, when I tried to send the file to VirusTotal, I was told the file is not there.  I did not put it in the virus chest. 

Where has this come from you made no mention of this, why would you want to send it to virustotal ?
What is the file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\suspect-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

@DavidR

This was in response to a question in their other post. It should have been answered there.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27023.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 04:19:37 AM by oldman »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Here is my log.

I attempted to send it to Virus Total following the suggestion.  The file name is c:\Program Files\webroot\spysweeper\spysweeperUI.exe.  The Trojan Horse is Win32-Delf-BPK.

Reading the log of the other person who experienced this, I gather it is a false positive.  I have put it in the exclusion file.  I am still not be allowed to update and have the 1/22/07 Version.  I did a repair on Avast earlier and I will try it again.  I do not have another Anti-Virus program.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:26 AM »
When I tried to repair Avast this time I got an Error Message:

A self face error has occured: 2
Try to reinstall or contact support

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
Have you tried with spysweeper uninstalled?