Author Topic: HAVING PROBLEMS browsing the web under Vista??  (Read 14975 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
HAVING PROBLEMS browsing the web under Vista??
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »
Hi all,

if you're one of the people who have problems accessing the web under Windows Vista (with avast installed), please read on.

To resolve the issue, please download and install the following hotfix:
http://files.avast.com/files/hotfix/vista-webshield/aswfix.exe
(users who do not experience the problem or are not using Vista at all do not need to install this fix)

In case the fix doesn't resolve the issue, it is most likely that the avast! Web Shield process is blocked by a 3rd party firewall (pre-)installed on the machine. Please make sure to let the Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe) the right to access the Internet.

Thanks
Vlk

PS. The fix will also be included in the next avast program update.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Nicks

Re: HAVING PROBLEMS browsing the web under Vista??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »
Thanks VLK. I can say that this works successfully!

Although it caused me a couple hours of pulling my hair out wondering why my web surfing was not working I would like yo congratulate Avast on their prompt response and fix to the issue.

paula_l

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:56 AM »
Hi, I still have problems after installing the fix...
can you give me any suggestions how to verify if the Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe) is having access to the Internet?? (internet options?)
(my windows' firewall is not activated)

Thanks a lot

Paula   ???

ew17

Web & Email Problems -- Vista/Avast
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
I'm just setting up a new system (with preinstalled Vista) -- I can access the Internet (Web & email) when I turn off Avast, but once it's on I can't get connected.  (I turn off On-Access Protection and I can get through.)

I tried the suggested fix -- it didn't help.  I made sure Web Shield is allowed full access -- it is.  I tried turning off the McAfee Security Center that came preinstalled -- no-go either.

The email error message is:
 Account: 'AccountNameHere', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded(pass:20, processes:emproxy.exe[19], WinMail.exe[1]), there is a collision with another program', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Any suggestions? Please?  I don't want to run without Avast.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
The email error message is:
 Account: 'AccountNameHere', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded(pass:20, processes:emproxy.exe[19], WinMail.exe[1]), there is a collision with another program', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90
You can increase that limit, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11788.0#msg100032
And check 'Settings' in my signature for more tweaks.
The best things in life are free.

ew17

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »
I tried that -- it didn't help with the email or the Web browsing. 

Please -- any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:28:55 AM »
I hope Alwil team could say something...
Anyway, it will be a beta release soon that addresses some bugs on Vista.  8)

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »
Disabling McAfee is probably not enough. Its email proxy is still active and collides with avast mail scanner. You need to uninstall it if you want to use avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
Disabling McAfee is probably not enough. Its email proxy is still active and collides with avast mail scanner. You need to uninstall it if you want to use avast.
Another situation to learn the *same* lesson, every day: disable is not enough, you need to uninstall.

ew17

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »
Okay, so I have to uninstall McAfee -- I'll try that (although I hesitate because if it doesn't work then the system is not going to be protected by anything) -- but will that help the Web surfing problem?  (People are mentioning the solutions for email, but it was also Web that was affected.)

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:19:46 PM »
If it doesn't work then the system is not going to be protected by anything
Well, you could use all McAfee solution (firewall + antivirus) or you can try another free firewall (like Comodo), although there aren't that many firewalls prepared for Vista (specially free ones).