Author Topic: Bootscan question  (Read 4267 times)

eyespy

Bootscan question
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:45:44 PM »
Hi all,
        just wondering about doing a "Boot Scan" on an WinXP loaded PC with multiple "Users". Does the "Boot Scan" scan the entire Hard Drive, including all Users, or just the User that was logged on when the "Boot Scan" option was chosen?
 Hope I explained that correctly!!

Thanks for any comments!!

Regards,
               bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Bootscan question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:55 PM »
It scans all disk, all files, full access as it logs on as system and not an user or the administrator.
The best things in life are free.

eyespy

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »
Great to know! Scanning each "User" individually takes a lot of time!!
and thanks for the Super Duper Fast reply!! ;)

Warmest regards,
                            bill :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »
You even have to scan at boot time that much frequently... When are you scanning?

Welcome to forums and be used to the speed... It's common here 8)

eyespy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »
You even have to scan at boot time that much frequently... When are you scanning?

Welcome to forums and be used to the speed... It's common here 8)

I have a PC with 3 Users, so I was scanning each User individually, while logged on. I wasn't sure about the "Boot Scan" option....as I stated previously. I am "Boot Scanning" as we speak!!

Thanks,
          bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
I am "Boot Scanning" as we speak!!
Ok, but boot scan should be done very rarely, the resident (on-access) scanning it's for the daily job.
Once a month, for instance, you can schedule the boot time scanning as a part of your monthly maintenance.

doonboggle

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:22:54 PM »
I am "Boot Scanning" as we speak!!
Ok, but boot scan should be done very rarely, the resident (on-access) scanning it's for the daily job.
Once a month, for instance, you can schedule the boot time scanning as a part of your monthly maintenance.

Hope you don't mind my jumping into this topic; but it is exactly what I am interested in, regarding Boot Scan.

The question I have is how I can schedule a 'next boot' scan ... with the free version.

I had a virus hit me the other nite; and during the process, AV asked me if I wanted a 'boot scan' ... which I agreed to.  Then seeing the process, it looks like something I would like to do more often .... so how does one do this?

Thanks
doon

eyespy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:32:08 PM »

Hope you don't mind my jumping into this topic; but it is exactly what I am interested in, regarding Boot Scan.

The question I have is how I can schedule a 'next boot' scan ... with the free version.

I had a virus hit me the other nite; and during the process, AV asked me if I wanted a 'boot scan' ... which I agreed to.  Then seeing the process, it looks like something I would like to do more often .... so how does one do this?

Thanks
doon

Doon,
        right click on Avast Icon in systray. Choose "Start Avast! AntiVirus". After Memory Scan, the Avast GUI will pop up. Right click anywhere on the Avast GUI, and choose "Schedule Boot Time Scan". It should be easy to see at that point!

Hope this helps,
                     bill

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:48:06 PM »
doonboggle, follow eyespy's suggestions or just run:
C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /A:*

doonboggle

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »

Thanks
doon

Doon,
        right click on Avast Icon in systray. Choose "Start Avast! AntiVirus". After Memory Scan, the Avast GUI will pop up. Right click anywhere on the Avast GUI, and choose "Schedule Boot Time Scan". It should be easy to see at that point!

Hope this helps,
                     bill

Thanks !!!!  Just what I needed.

doon