Author Topic: Net Client deployment to XP Home machines  (Read 3506 times)

gyoung

Net Client deployment to XP Home machines
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:23:56 AM »
Hello,

I just purchased a bunch of Avast Standard Suite Licenses for my small company and I am disappointed to find out that I cannot deploy the Net Client version of Avast to the Windows XP Home machines that are on our network. I would like to take advantage of the features of the ADNM console including remote scanning. We purchased Standard Suite for this reason. I have tried installing Avast Professional on a couple of XP Home machines but the install does not show up in the Computer Catalog of the ADNM console. Do I have any options for using the ADNM console short of upgrading all our machines to XP Pro?

Cheers,
George

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Net Client deployment to XP Home machines
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »
Yes, of course.
The reason push installation does not work on XP Home is that this OS enforces "Simple File Sharing" - a feature specifically designed to cripple interoperability on the network (hence the name "Home" Edition).

But - if you don't insist on installing avast REMOTELY, you can easily install the netclients manually (just as you did with avast Professional Edition). I'd suggest creating a MSI package (using a deployment task in ADNM) and running it on the target machines.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ChuPac

Re: Net Client deployment to XP Home machines
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
I discover 1 bug.
I creatr deployment task, that uninstall application.
When i start this task with attribute 'Don't reboot', it work - application remove and user continue to work. But when he shut down or reboot his comp, comp stop. Only reset help in this situation.