Author Topic: Email domain's and SMTP 2000 scanning  (Read 4600 times)

johntankard

Email domain's and SMTP 2000 scanning
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
Hi all, I know this has been covered earlier and I have read the posts twice over but I need clarification.

Email is not being delivered to some email domains through exchange 2003 but when I turn OFF the 'avast mail scanning' service on our SBS2003 server ALL mail flows from exchange with no problem. I have read that this avast service needs to be manually stopped in order for email to leave with no issues. My question is that if I disable the service aren't I disabling avasts ability to scan all email messages both inbound and outbound?

Any help on this matter would be helpful as I don't want to turn the service off if email is not being scanned, however it is the only way of getting email through to some of our customers.

Regards John Tankard

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Email domain's and SMTP 2000 scanning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »
The mail traffic on Exchange server is scanned by the 'Exchange 2000/2003' and the 'MS SMTP 2000/2003' providers. The 'avast! Mail Scanner' service belongs to the 'Internet Mail' provider which protects mail clients and would just cause double scanning on the Exchange server.

Btw. 'avast! Mail Scanner' service should be set up to start manually by default (it is started by the provider), was it set up to automatic start ? Also from the latest version the service should be quite passive when it runs without the provider, do you have the latest version ?

johntankard

Re: Email domain's and SMTP 2000 scanning
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
Hi vojtech,

Thanks for your reply, the service was set to automatic startup also the latest version had not been downloaded for some reason, however it now has and all seems to be running smoothly. Thanks for putting my mind at rest on this matter.

John