Author Topic: Mail Protection Wizard missing!  (Read 4801 times)

Pamed

Mail Protection Wizard missing!
« on: March 05, 2007, 02:48:36 AM »
Hello

Sorry for posting again on this matr, but I could not find a solution on old messages.

Windows XP / Outlook Express 6 / Avast 4.7 Home

When I am at home and I use muy office email account, I can receive, but not send emails ...

I get this mx:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.medstat2.org', Server: 'smtp.medstat2.org', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have read the FAQ: avast! 4 appears to change my POP3 and SMPT settings to 127.0.0.1 and the names of my e-mail accounts are also modified, so I cannot send any messages. Why is this?

I tried to follow the instructions, and thanks to od forum topics, I understood that I had to use the windows path : " (Start -> ALL PROGRAMS -> Avast! antivirus -> Mail Protection Wizard)"

But I don't have the -> Mail Protection Wizard in the windows submenu !!!!

I hope someone will help me.

Thank you very much

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Mail Protection Wizard missing!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »
With Windows 2k\XP, since avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exist. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks.
New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Pamed

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:10:16 AM »
With Windows 2k\XP, since avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exist. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks.
New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

But the email account is set as if avast does not exist.  ???

May be this can help in understanding : few days ago I was in a bar with wifi services ... there I was able to send emails using my office account ...

(how to reply without quotes ?) 

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »
The email account and Outlook Express are supposed to look like avast does not exist.  That's why what avast does to scan mail in the Windows XP environment is called a "transparent intercept" - you do not see it.

Your email sending problem almost certainly has nothing to do with avast.

I'm guessing since you have not told us enough information. 

This is a laptop machine that you use with a wireless connection at the office/campus and you receive and send mail there with no problem on your office email account.

I am also guessing that the bar you were in and where you sent email was quite close to the office/campus. 

The reasons are:

You can receive mail anywhere since on your POP connection you have to specify your email account and password, you authenticate yourself to the POP server and prove you have a right to get the mail.

When you are using the wireless network in your office (or close enough to the office to still get a wireless connection to the office network) you are allowed - because you are on their network - to connect to port 25 of your SMTP server even though you probably do not provide an account or password in your SMTP setting.

When you are at home you are almost certainly using the network of your ISP.  Then when you try to connect to the office SMTP server they do not know you from any other spammer out in the world - you are not connecting from your office's own network and they refuse to connect you. 

I suggest you talk to your IT support folks.  They will almost certainly have a way that you can connect to the SMTP server when you are not on the office network (at home, your local coffee shop etc) that may require a secure connection but that will almost certainly require that you authenticate yourself to prove you should be able to use the mail server.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:43:32 AM by alanrf »

Pamed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Thank you very much.

Indeed, I agree, I think at this point that the problem (yes, with a laptop) is not avast linked, and your explanation is right.

Then when you try to connect to the office SMTP server they do not know you from any other spammer out in the world - you are not connecting from your office's own network and they refuse to connect you.

However, the bar I referred to was around 1000 km from my office (to old for a campus  :(.

I suggest you talk to your IT support folks.

This is the sad part .... I did it several times, with words only as a result. Anyway, today I will get this done.

Thank you very much again (from Luxembourg)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
When you are at home you are almost certainly using the network of your ISP.
Alanrf, won't the problem be on smtp authentication like you've said:

that will almost certainly require that you authenticate yourself to prove you should be able to use the mail server.
But for this, the user just need to inform his/her name and password into the email program... am I wrong?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
Tech,

it depends on the how keen on security the managers of the SMTP server are. 

As an example with my ISP here in the US if I am off their network and using a different network then to access their SMTP server I must use my name and password and use an SSL connection to their SMTP server. When I am on my ISP network at home I can connect on port 25 and no username/password is needed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:46:03 AM »
So, or you don't have to do anything or you just need to use SMTP authentication.
So, just test and be happy 8)

Homesick

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »
I just installed AVAST, and like it very much so far.  I use a mail program other than Outlook, and I notice that the Outlook/Exchange provider is not functioning.  It says "the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start."  Can I safely assume that since I don't use Outlook/Exchange for my e-mail it is being protected via another part of the system?  Thanks. 

ETA: Ah, sorry--I just noticed that there is a message indicating that 7 e-mails have been scanned, including a "welcome to avast" message.   ;D  I think it is safe to say that my e-mail is being scanned.  I'm very pleased with your product!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:09:37 PM by Homesick »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »
Can I safely assume that since I don't use Outlook/Exchange for my e-mail it is being protected via another part of the system?  Thanks.
Yes, you're right.
Internet Mail provider will scan other email programs for you.

The message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook.
The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.