Author Topic: Special Module  (Read 8078 times)

ElaineA

Special Module
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »
Upon computer start-up I am notified that a 'special module' cannot be located.  With Avast, which has not updated in approx. 2 months,  there are 7 providers... I have SIX running. The 7th, which is Outlook/Express I am told that it cannot locate the provider, and that it is waiting for the Subsystem to start.  The providers are Special Modules.  I wrote to Avast and they suggested I re-install.  Avast will not let me uninstall.  Thus, I am not fully protected. I am getting notified continually that I need to update, etc...  Going 'round and 'round.  At wit's end here....  any help will be colossally appreciated!  Thanks!!!

Elaine

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Special Module
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
there are 7 providers... I have SIX running. The 7th, which is Outlook/Express I am told that it cannot locate the provider, and that it is waiting for the Subsystem to start.
Elaine, as reported a lot of times, the message "The provider is waiting on the subsystem to start" will be shown there until you open MS Outlook. The plugin will be enabled automatically after that.

Do you use MS Outlook or Outlook Express to get emails?
The best things in life are free.

ElaineA

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »
I do not use this for Email.   Now, I have opened and closed this...  do I need to reboot?  I am not showing that it is automatically updating...

Elaine~

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:03:53 PM »
Now, I have opened and closed this...
What is this here?

I am not showing that it is automatically updating...
Right click the 'a' blue icon, choose Program Properties and then the Update (tab) of settings. 8)

ElaineA

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:05:19 PM »
Sorry...  The 'this' is Outlook.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »
Sorry...  The 'this' is Outlook.
Ok. You don't need to boot as you don't use Outlook. Even if you use it, you won't have to boot. The protection will be automatically started when and if you start Outlook.

ElaineA

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »
Ok, umm..  I don't have 'program properties'...  I *do* not have:  Program settings, which takes me to Avast Settings.  I also have 'Updating' which takes me to Avast updates and program updates....  ???

Elaine~

... temporarily confudled with computer chaos....

ElaineA

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 11:21:47 PM »
So, I have Windows Security Alert announcing I am out-of-date with my Antivirus...

Elaine~

PS.  Never had this trouble the first time with Avast...It has never been right since I renewed in November..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »
Ok, umm..  I don't have 'program properties'...
Sorry, my mistake. It's 'Program settings' and Update (Basic) tab of settings.
There you can manually update avast too.
You can update by the icon too, as you've discovered (both the program and the virus database).

ElaineA

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:39:40 PM »
Ok, clicked on updates...   "asked" Avast to update...  I feel like Im being ignored here.  No updating is taking place..?

ElaineA

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 11:42:10 PM »
So it shows the last update Jan. 9, 2007 (I was gone 3 weeks)...  still nothing is happening... tried 'manual' update..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 11:52:57 PM »
I assume you are using avast 4 home and not the avast 4 server edition (the forum you have posted in) ?

Are you getting any error messages when you try to update ?
What is your firewall ?

You said you couldn't uninstall avast, what was the problem, errors, etc. ?

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.
If you can't use the add remove programs try running this.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall (or run the uninstall utility), reboot, install, reboot.
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:54:30 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ElaineA

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »
I am using Avast 4 Home Edition.  Sorry if I posted in wrong forum...

When I try to update by clicking on 'update'  I get nothing. No messages, nothing.  As though it doesn't exist.

Firewall.. hmm..  I guess it's what is with Windows, which is telling me to update my Antivirus.

When I try to remove through the add/remove program it can't uninstall.  No error messages, just won't do it.  BUT, I am going to try uninstalling again, to check for message. 

I have installed the new version of Avast....it is now sitting on desktop---so I can find it.

When I try to remove/uninstall  the message states:  Avast! A setiface error has occured:2
Contact support, please.

Rebooting now because of Windows...

ElaineA

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 12:48:19 AM »
When I just tried  to uninstall the message read: Avast! A setiface error has occured:2  Contact support, please.

Elaine~

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »
When I try to remove/uninstall  the message states:  Avast! A setiface error has occured:2
Contact support, please.

When I just tried  to uninstall the message read: Avast! A setiface error has occured:2  Contact support, please.

Have you downloaded and run the Uninstall Utility the link is the blue text, 'find it here' ?
I would have though that the uninstall utility wouldn't suffer any setiface issues.

I have installed the new version of Avast....it is now sitting on desktop---so I can find it.

How did you do this if you couldn't uninstall ?
Or do you mean you have downloaded the latest version awaiting installation ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security