Author Topic: Windows Security Alert Missing Avast  (Read 4723 times)

Pesmerga

Windows Security Alert Missing Avast
« on: March 10, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
Recently windows has been showing a security alert that no virus software is installed, I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or an avast issue.
I think the issue may have started after a windows update, I'm running Win XP Pro.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Security Alert Missing Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »
1. Is your system time and date correct?

2. Is your avast well installed and updated?

3. Can you try to repair your installation? Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

4. Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

5. If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

6. If nothing helps the problem is that sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker, MoveOnBoot or Delete FXP you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (maybe you need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct info and antivirus and firewall should now be recognized  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »
Recently windows has been showing a security alert that no virus software is installed, I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or an avast issue.
I think the issue may have started after a windows update, I'm running Win XP Pro.

It is quite possibly a WSC issue, you can check the Windows Task Manager, what avast processes are running, they begin with ash or asw, see image. If you have the same processes running it is most likely to be the WSC, so follow Tech's instructions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Pesmerga

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
I've tried both methods.... I uninstalled and reinstalled, and I deleted the directory which did was not reset after a restart, so I'm not sure what to do...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
On occasion it takes more than one reboot to rebuild the repository.

I asked about what avast processes you have running, to ensure that at least avast is running correctly and the problem is only one of WSC reporting, you didn't say what is running. If everything is running the same as in my image then whilst it is a pain, you could disable the checking in WSC (Change how the security center alerts me, see image), not ideal but gets rid of the nag screen pop-up.

Another option:
WSC doesn't detect avast! - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC
Windows XP SP2, Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2

If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 you can use a single command to detect and repair a corrupted WMI Repository. To do so, type the following from the command prompt (note that the parameter UpgradeRepository is case-sensitive and must be typed exactly as shown):

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

After running UpgradeRepository you can verify the results by looking ay the Setup log. If inconsistencies are detected and if the operating system was able to rebuild the Repository you should see information in Setup.log similar to this:

(Wed Oct 12 13:46:36 2005): ===========================================================================
(Wed Oct 12 13:46:36 2005): Beginning WBEM Service Pack Installation
(Wed Oct 12 13:46:36 2005): Current build of wbemupgd.dll is 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Wed Oct 12 13:46:36 2005): Current build of wbemcore.dll is 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
(Wed Oct 12 13:46:52 2005): Inconsistent repository detected; it will be recreated

(Wed Oct 12 13:47:33 2005): Wbemupgd.dll Service Security upgrade succeeded (XP SP update).
(Wed Oct 12 13:47:33 2005): WBEM Service Pack Installation completed.
(Wed Oct 12 13:47:33 2005): ===========================================================================

Note. There will probably be other entries in the log as well, but you should specifically look for the ones shown above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

msisco4

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:27:17 AM »
I am having the same problem and none of these steps has helped.  My daughter recently started experiencing the same thing on her computer at college.

Any ideas?  The Windows Security Alert is telling me version 000774-1 may be out of date.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:48:19 AM »
Any ideas?  The Windows Security Alert is telling me version 000774-1 may be out of date.
Did you follow all the steps I've posted before?
Sometimes, only overinstalling all Windows will rebuild and correct WSC... hope this is not your case...

msisco4

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »
Tried all of the steps above.

msisco4

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
Oops - I must confess, I just found out that my month was wrong on my system date/time.  I would swear I checked this yesterday and it was OK, but it was set to October when I double checked this morning.  I think this resolved the problem.  Will report back if not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »
Oops - I must confess, I just found out that my month was wrong on my system date/time.  I would swear I checked this yesterday and it was OK, but it was set to October when I double checked this morning.  I think this resolved the problem.  Will report back if not.
99% of the times... just the an error on the date... Remember that some infections (malware) try to change the system date. Maybe you should run a full scanning 8)