Author Topic: No Internet Access  (Read 12310 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: No Internet Access
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
Yes the file will open in notepad. Just type the required line in the section indicted by tech. At the top will be a heading called file. Click it and select save.

pjapma

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 07:40:20 PM »
I edited the [webscanner] as indicated BUT....
When I searched for ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws ....both logs are 0KB in size
Then I get the following in wordpad:
"The document C:\Program files\ alwil software\ avast 4\data\log\ashwebsv.log is in use by another application and cannot be accessed." The same applies to ashwebsv.ws
Am I looking in the correct place for this file?
Thanks!
PS...As I was doing the above.. avast4 did a automatic download with the newest updates for the program.
Still cannot start the program for auto scanning.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
I see no problems with your logs... although I'm not an expert on them  :-[

Sorry, but as your problem is on connection, maybe you could activate logging in WebShield:
1. Edit <avast>\data\avast4.ini file
2. Find the section [WebScanner]
3. Add the line:
    EnableLogging=1
4. Restart Web Shield in XP (terminate and start again) or whole PC in case of Win98
5. Browse (trying to access some webpages)

The log file are <avast>\data\log\ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws.
They would be accessible when WebShield is terminated again.
Post them here or send by mail to rypacek (at) asw.cz
After that, disable the logging to avoid a big log file.

Following  tech's instructions, web shield has to be terminated before the logs are available. Yes you are in the correct place.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 09:50:24 PM »
Following  tech's instructions, web shield has to be terminated before the logs are available. Yes you are in the correct place.
Yes, WebShield is 'locking' its own log file.
The best things in life are free.

pjapma

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »
Hi Again,
Performed the indicated procedure to enable the webscanner...BUT....
Once again both ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws logs have 0KB or nothing in them and I'm being told that another application is using them.
I did find a file for both of them with the suffix of .ori  ie:
ashwebsv.log.ori and ashwebsv.ws.ori which has a log files in them.
Are  these the ones you want to examine?
Please advise.
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »
Performed the indicated procedure to enable the webscanner...BUT....
Stop WebShield... do the changes.
Boot and then browse.
The log files are ashwebsv.log and ashwebsv.ws and not the *.ori ones.
You don't have to analise them, just send to Lukas to do so...

pjapma

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 03:52:51 PM »
Hi,
None of the "On-Access Scanner" functions can be "started" or stopped as indicated in the taskbar location. I can not start the On-Access Protection.
Once again when I perform the indicated function of enabling the webscanner...I get no log files in ashwebsv.log nor ashwebsv.ws
Please advise...Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 06:31:24 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer?
Did you have in the past? Which one?
Can you post a screenshot of the error message you've got when you try to enable the on-access protection?

pjapma

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 07:56:02 PM »
Hi,
Before I upgraded WIN ME on this laptop...I had Win 98....with that I had Avast4......which worked without a problem....that was about 1.5 years ago. Upon upgrade, I added a wireless PC card and once I had that functioning, avast started to update automatically. Something happened to the updates.....maybe because there were tooo many and the "blue balls" located in the task bar disappeared and my PC froze up completely. I couldn't boot up normally....I was just getting the "blue screen". I finally booted up in safemode and I installed avast thru add/delete programs in my computer.
I then downloaded the latest avast4 that I could find on my desktop( which also has avast4 on it....no problems there). and loaded the file into this laptop. The problem started as stated at the beginning of this thread.
When I had avast installed....I ran an online scan from Trend Micro.....but I deleted all files on the PC prior to reloading avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
Hi,
Before I upgraded WIN ME on this laptop...I had Win 98....with that I had Avast4......which worked without a problem....that was about 1.5 years ago. Upon upgrade, I added a wireless PC card and once I had that functioning, avast started to update automatically. Something happened to the updates.....maybe because there were tooo many and the "blue balls" located in the task bar disappeared and my PC froze up completely. I couldn't boot up normally....I was just getting the "blue screen". I finally booted up in safemode and I installed avast thru add/delete programs in my computer.
I then downloaded the latest avast4 that I could find on my desktop( which also has avast4 on it....no problems there). and loaded the file into this laptop. The problem started as stated at the beginning of this thread.
When I had avast installed....I ran an online scan from Trend Micro.....but I deleted all files on the PC prior to reloading avast.

And now... which is your exactly problem?

pjapma

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »
Hi Again,
How do you post a screen shot of the dialog boxes??....when they are on my screen and I try to use one of the "file, edit" functions....the boxes disappear.
When I access the Avast On-Access Scanner from the task bar
The large dialog box opens with the Installed providers listed on the left side.
Webshield Version 4.7-942 is highlighted and when the start buttons is applied
"The requested resident task was not found( in red)
The operation could not be completed.
OK"
I noticed there is an Avast log Viewer located in the task bar commands..can we use that in anyway.

The problem is Avast On -Access can not be activated. The blue ball in the taskbar is disabled ( has a small circle with a red line thru it) None of the installed resident  providers can be started. Thus I have no continual virus scanning when I'm on the internet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »
How do you post a screen shot of the dialog boxes??
To know how to post a screenshot, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0
You can use Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).

"The requested resident task was not found( in red)
Wow... Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »
Now that you've supplied a few more tidbids of info, I'll take a shot. You said you used a copy of avast that you had on your desktop. I'm guessing that it was older than 4.7.942 and avast did an auto update. ME and win 98, sometimes have problems with program updates. If this is the case, please see

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26718.0

You may also want to try to honor VLK's request contained in the same post. It may help for future updates.

pjapma

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 02:10:44 AM »
Hi Again,
Thanks for bearing with me on this problem.
In response to TECH's post#26, I tried to do a un-install/repair on the program on my PC.....no luck...same problem as before. I'll try tomorrow( Saturday) to download the screensaver program so I can get those dialog boxes for you.
Surprisingly I looked in my "recent documents folder" and found the log file for ashwebsv.log (but no ashwebsv.ws))) which I will send to you via email. I'll head same as this post with my initials, PJAPMA .
In response to OLDMAN's post #27....I used the latest file that was on your website: Avast 4.7 Home Edition, Build Jan 2007 (4.7.942)
Based upon your response to the logfile, ....I'll try a complete un-install.....install  if you advise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »
I'll try tomorrow( Saturday) to download the screensaver program so I can get those dialog boxes for you.
Just to give you the exactly words:
screensaver is a program that, in theory, protects the monitor of your computer, or, at least, it's a fun thing, to rest.
screenshot is a 'photo' of your screen at some time. So the tools I've posted about take screenshots and they're not screensavers.

I will send to you via email.
To Lukas' email, not mine.