Author Topic: Old PC died, New PC, copied password files but they aren't recognized  (Read 926 times)

Offline Remo_253

I'm helping a friend that had her PC die (CPU issue). I am giving her an old desktop I have with a clean Windows install (I tried booting the old drive on it first, no go, the machines are too different). She has a subscription to Premier and I've installed and activated the password function. There was no way to point it to her old password files on the old drive, c:\user\userid\Appdata\Local\Avast Software\APM\Userid\kv*.db and pam.db, so I used a boot disk to be able to copy those files to the new PC, same path except I changed the Userid to the one on the new machine. And of course it doesn't see them, just wants me to start over.

So, how do I get it to recognize the password files? I asked and she said she didn't have a Master Password.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
AMD A10 7870k/8GB
Avast Premium Security 21.3.2459 (build 21.3.6164.660
UI Version 1.0.616

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Copying the old file to the new PC will not work.
Please ask your friend to contact us at https://support.avast.com/en-ww/contact/paid and we can look further into this issue.

Offline Remo_253

"Copying the old file to the new PC will not work."

I figured it was a low probability but worth a shot. I'll tell her submit the request when I deliver the machine.