Author Topic: How to stop Avast from deliting my EXEs?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline terrariast

How to stop Avast from deliting my EXEs?
« on: May 12, 2021, 09:27:01 AM »
Hello! I've been using Avast for almost a decade, and I don't want switch to another antivirus, but recently Avast been deleting my peer-to-peer client's EXE file.

Everyday I have to reinstall the program, because there is no EXE. And I can't bring it back from virus chest, because there is nothing to bring back! The file just gets silently deleted without my permission. AND on top of that, Avast doesn't allow me to run the application, until I disable File Shield

I added the EXE to exception list. I added the whole file to every exception list, but the EXE gets deleted. I've pinpointed the problem of blocking the program from running to File Shield, but there is no way to specifically add an exception to that Shield. When I add an Advanced Exception, it only applies Ransomware Shield exception.

And I cannot afford to lose this program, as it houses a lot of lectures and studying material.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: How to stop Avast from deliting my EXEs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 09:32:25 AM »
Test the file at VT (https://www.virustotal.com) and post the link to the result here.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline terrariast

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
It doesn't let me to upload the file.

Offline terrariast

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
Also, I know that this program is totally safe as am using it at least 12-13 years. And no other antivirus has any problem with it. not even the ever-paranoid Norton.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »
You can report a suspected FP (File/Website) here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline terrariast

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
I can't report it! Because it doesn't let me upload it! Is there absolutely no way, to make Avast completely ignore one specific program? And as I learned, addind it to exception just don't work!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:32:54 AM »
I can't report it! Because it doesn't let me upload it!
Why, what message do you get?
Is the file in use when you try to upload?

Offline terrariast

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »
Why, what message do you get?
Is the file in use when you try to upload?

It's on russian, so I don't know the official translation but something like: "Windows can't access the device, path or file. Maybe you don't have permission to access it" (I am the admin of my PC).

Most importantly - this message shows up even while Avast and Windows Defender is completely shut-down.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »
but recently Avast been deleting my peer-to-peer client's EXE file.
Is the program to that EXE file you want to upload shut down?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:58:32 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »
I can't report it! Because it doesn't let me upload it! Is there absolutely no way, to make Avast completely ignore one specific program? And as I learned, addind it to exception just don't work!

Why is it deleting it, generally the action would be to send it to the Virus Chest  ?
Have you changed the default settings for detections (check and have detections 'Ask' or 'Send' the the Virus Chest) ?

Is it actually being deleted or sent to the virus chest ?
If it is being sent to the virus chest, then you can use the 'Send for analysis' option from the virus chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »

Hi,

Can you let us know the name of the app?

Offline terrariast

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »
Is the program to that EXE file you want to upload shut down?

It only deletes it when I power-up my PC. Silently. I install it, do the daily work, go to sleep, wake up - and boom - the EXE is missing.
Why is it deleting it, generally the action would be to send it to the Virus Chest  ?
Have you changed the default settings for detections (check and have detections 'Ask' or 'Send' the the Virus Chest) ?

I don't know why it is deleting it! That's the problem! And no, it doesn't move it to the Chest. It straight up deletes the EXE. And have set EVERYTHING to "Ask".

MediaGet 2. But it's not from the developer: My version was tinkered with and only works as a peer-to-peer client. I can't recall where I got it from, it just travels from hard-drive to hard-drive.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:38 PM »
MediaGet 2. But it's not from the developer: My version was tinkered with and only works as a peer-to-peer client. I can't recall where I got it from, it just travels from hard-drive to hard-drive.

Hi,

Can you please disable Behaviour Shield (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-shield-settings/#idt_040), and confirm if it makes a difference?
Please also post your support file id here.
To generate the support file, please see this link.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file

Offline terrariast

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
Can you please disable Behaviour Shield (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Antivirus-shield-settings/#idt_040), and confirm if it makes a difference?

It made no difference. Only disabling File Shield makes any difference. I.e - let's me run the program.

Please also post your support file id here.

I... Can't? My web-browser gives me "PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR". So I had to upload the ZIP-file to my Google Drive. (tried to modify the message, but then it fell into infinite loading. So the problem probably in my internet connection being extremely unstable. Sorry if it violates any internal rules, but there is nothing I can  currently do to upload the ZIP-file to the forum itself.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z4cTZVRrMoWkKs_s9Pg_5-wDceoybYgS/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:39:27 PM by terrariast »

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »
Hi terrariast and thank you for the report. We checked the provided logs and this version of Mediaget is classified as PUP - potentially unwanted. It seems that the file could not be sent to the Virus Chest so it may have been deleted. I am not sure, however, why the file exclusion did not work for you.

Could you please try excluding the whole folder "Mediaget2"? Is the file still being detected/deleted?

If you prefer a quick workaround, you can set Avast not to scan for PUPs in the program Menu - Settings - Protection - Core Shields - What to do with: Potentially unwanted programs & tools - by deselecting the option "Scan for PUPs."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:19:03 PM by prokopes_ »