Author Topic: Strange problem: Computer hangs after updating.  (Read 4472 times)

Jeccu

Strange problem: Computer hangs after updating.
« on: February 11, 2004, 08:00:35 PM »
Hello Avast team!

I have a strange problem: My computer hangs every time after Avast! 4 has updated its virus data base. Only thing I can do is to turn off the computer and reboot it again. After that it works just fine until the next update is released.

Could this be the reason:
I've logged to my computer (XP Home) as an ordinary user with limited priviledges (sorry, I don't know what it is in english version), not as an administrator. I use my computer as an administrator only when I'll install new programs etc. Does anyone have the same problem or am I the only one? Have you tested this?
When I installed the Avast! (as an administrator), program updated itself of course and there was no problem. After that I've not used my computer as an administrator and my computer has hanged every time the Avast! has automatically updated its virus data base. I've not tested does this happen when updating manually.

I use the latest version of Avast 4 Home and my computer is 2.4GHz Celeron with XP Home.

So, please help me!

--Jeccu--

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Strange problem: Computer hangs after updating.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 07:33:37 AM »
The update should work just well even if you're not logged on as an admin.

Do you use the fast user switching feature of WinXP?
Does the non-admin account has enough rights to the temp directory? And to the avast\data directory? (assuming your hard drives are formated as NTFS; you can check this using the Security tab of the Folder Properties in Explorer).

Please tell me how proficient you are with computers so I can select the appropriate wording. :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jeccu

Re:Strange problem: Computer hangs after updating.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 08:52:04 PM »

Do you use the fast user switching feature of WinXP?

No, I don't use fast user switching.

Does the non-admin account has enough rights to the temp directory? And to the avast\data directory? (assuming your hard drives are formated as NTFS; you can check this using the Security tab of the Folder Properties in Explorer).

The hard drive is formated as NTFS.
I re-installed avast into XP's Shared folder this morning, so there should be enough rights.
You can't give more rights any other way to files/folders/programs in XP Home Edition, or can you? In Pro version you can.
Anyway, that didn't work. My computer freezed again after downloading automatically the virus data base update which was released today. The files were updated (like before) but the computer hanged at the same second. I could move the mouse but nothing else worked. Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Please tell me how proficient you are with computers so I can select the appropriate wording. :)

I'm not a "rookie" with computers but my english isn't so good, so... :-)

Thanks.
--Jeccu--