Author Topic: Cannot add to Chest  (Read 4385 times)

bxtones

Cannot add to Chest
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:43:36 AM »
I recently got this PC for free and I'm trying to clean it up. It has a lot of viruses. I got Avast last nite and ran a scan today. It instructed me to add the infected files to the Chest but it gave me errors. Most of the viruses/trojans are in _Restore\Temp files. Would it be safe simply deleting them? Or deleting any of them for that matter? I don't like deleting files if I'm not sure of them. I have a screen shot of the final scan if it would help. Thanks.

~B

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot add to Chest
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:41:04 PM »
What Operating System are you using ?

The c:\System Volume Information folder is a part of the system restore function and as such is protected by windows, the only way to effectively clean infected _restore points is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear ALL _restore points. Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore.

Win XP-ME - How to disable System Restore
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 06:05:39 PM »
 :)  Hi bx :

"Trojans" are best dealt with using an antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN program;
      IF this Operating System is Win 2000 or later, best to use the "trial"
      version of "AVG Antispyware" from www.ewido.net ; IF an earlier version,
      A-squared FREE ( version ) at www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
It has a lot of viruses.
Besides Disabling and Enabling System restore, I suggest:

1) Clean your temporary files. You can use the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

2) Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

3) It will be good if you download, install, update and run other trojan remover tools: a-squared and/or Free AVG Antispyware (trojan removers). Some users recommend SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator.

4) Use the immunization of Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:22:34 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

bxtones

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »
My OS is WinME. I've been using Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, and Avast which I just got. I tried getting AVG but it would not install on this PC. I've used it on my other PC though. I've had no problems w/ that one. It's a much older model running Win98 but I like it. Right now I am downloading the Advanced WindowsCare Personal, not sure if it will install on my OS? I will also try and install the AVG Antispyware and A-squared.

Is disable system restore supposed to be checked when I go to disable it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
Right now I am downloading the Advanced WindowsCare Personal, not sure if it will install on my OS?
No, it just work with Operating System: Windows Vista, XP and 2000.

I will also try and install the AVG Antispyware and A-squared.
Check on their websites first the system requirements...

Is disable system restore supposed to be checked when I go to disable it?
You can disable, click apply or ok.
Scan the computer with your security programs.
Boot.
Enable system restore again.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:34:46 PM »
@ bxtones
a-squared should work with winME, avg-as doesn't.

winME can be a little stubborn to kill system restore, with the tick already there it should have already removed the C:_Restore points.

Also see Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder
SYMPTOMS
When you run an antivirus program, you may receive a report that indicates that one or more files in the _Restore\Temp or the _Restore\Archive folders contain a virus or are infected with a virus. Also, your antivirus program may indicate an inability to remove the virus from the file or files.
:
:
:
Manually Purge the Data Store
To completely and immediately remove the infected file or files in the data store, disable and re-enable the System Restore feature.

WARNING: Using the following steps will completely remove all restore points from the data store. Do not use this method if this will cause problems. When you enable the System Restore feature again, the System Restore feature will create a new restore point and then resume monitoring your computer.
1.   Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2.   Double-click System, and then click the Performance tab.
3.   Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.
4.   Click to select the Disable System Restore check box, click Apply, click to clear the Disable System Restore check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
5.   Restart the computer when you are prompted to do so. When the computer restarts, the data store is purged and the System Restore feature begins monitoring the system again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security