Author Topic: avast! at logon time tool for avast! Evangelists  (Read 23064 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! at logon time tool for avast! Evangelists
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 10:25:47 PM »
Ok great I was able to extract it and remove the password successfully. I will use it when Disk Defragmenter finishes up then I will report back.

Yes it worked for me too  ;) Nice job  :D Al968

I'm waiting for the feedback... I'm curious about what do you think about the tool...  :)
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
Ok, I have it working now too.

So how does this compare to a boot scan?  I mean it obviously loads a bit later in the boot sequence but it seems like its roughly equivalent to a boot scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »
So how does this compare to a boot scan?
You'll be logged as the Administrator (or account with admin rights) and not System.
You shouldn't have problems to access folders (maybe \System Volume Information can't be accessed).
All Windows and 3rd party services will be running. But not a program! This is what makes a 'clean' scanning with all avast features. Don't you think so?

I mean it obviously loads a bit later in the boot sequence but it seems like its roughly equivalent to a boot scan.
The scanning options are what you can set as in normal avast use.

justin1278

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 10:34:45 PM »
Hi Tech,

Nice tool looks very good and promising. I found what may be a bug. When switching from one interface to another in the pro version (i.e. enhanced user interface to the Simple User interface) Windows begins to continue booting.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
Now that you got that zip-unzip problem straightened out, it seems to be working fine.

I'm surprised, though, that a standard scan (no archives) takes about the same or even a little longer for me doing it this way than a "standard" standard scan, and there's still a humongous list of files not accessed because in use.  What, really, are we gaining with this tool?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »
Yes I have now been able to extract the latest copy you uploaded, waiting for next boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:11:54 PM »
When switching from one interface to another in the pro version (i.e. enhanced user interface to the Simple User interface) Windows begins to continue booting.
It's not a bug. It's a limitation of the logon time. I can't do anything about this.
The same reason to 'halt' the logon is the fact that logon continues in the case you've mentioned.

I'm surprised, though, that a standard scan (no archives) takes about the same or even a little longer for me doing it this way than a "standard" standard scan
If you're used to have little programs opened, ok, it could be the same.
Like me, with a lot of concurrent programs working... well, it helps.

and there's still a humongous list of files not accessed because in use.
It's not boot time scanning. If the problem is access rights, run avast boot time scanning.

What, really, are we gaining with this tool?
avast functionality without programs running in background. Nothing more but nothing less.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
Yes I have now been able to extract the latest copy you uploaded, waiting for next boot.
Just logoff/logon, not the all boot is needed.
You need to logon as an user with admin rights  8)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 11:22:14 PM »
Cheers Tech got the new version unzipped about to reboot  ;)

mauserme

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »
Its hard to say if it scans faster or not.  I don't pay that much attention when scanning after a full boot - just minimize it and work over the top or walk away and come back later.  Now it seems to take forever when I sit here and study it.  But it should be faster.

I don't think this will replace a full boot scan since a lot of the services are loaded by the time this runs, but i do think this will become my method of choice for weekly scans if I don't need to use the computer at the moment.   8)

BTW, if you send the scan to background it completely disappears.  It can be retrieved with the "Switch To" button in the task manager.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »
Works fine. Though scan speed isn't a main benefit but thorough removal...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 12:14:31 AM »
I don't think this will replace a full boot scan
It's far from my intention... boot time scanning is a fantastic feature of avast.
But, as you can see, I can do this (logon time) to any application I want and for the most of them (except some defragmentation tools and avast) there isn't a boot time option to run.

since a lot of the services are loaded by the time this runs, but i do think this will become my method of choice for weekly scans if I don't need to use the computer at the moment.   8)
Yes, I mean on-demand frequent scannings.

BTW, if you send the scan to background it completely disappears.  It can be retrieved with the "Switch To" button in the task manager.
Wow... I never tested this condition, but I see no reason to do so, it will only make the process slower, you won't to be able to use the desktop, it's logon time and it's halted.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 12:15:46 AM »
Works fine. Though scan speed isn't a main benefit but thorough removal...
The removal *could* be better as none application is running (and blocking files).
But, of course, it's not compared to boot time scanning, which access/removal is complete.

mauserme

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 03:53:04 AM »
Wow... I never tested this condition, but I see no reason to do so, it will only make the process slower, you won't to be able to use the desktop, it's logon time and it's halted.
Nope -  no other purpose than to satisfy my curiosity.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 05:40:17 AM »
Hello Tech I would be most honoured and pleased to be able to assist and help in any part of your testing of avast_at_logon.

Thank you for considering and asking me

Kind Regards Peter
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!