Author Topic: avast! at logon time tool for avast! Evangelists  (Read 23065 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! at logon time tool for avast! Evangelists
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 02:12:11 AM »
The scan took 9min 28sec for the same data size, slightly slower again than the previous one in reply #32.
Seems that all tests are conclusive: scanning speed is not higher.

Closing the SUI allowed the logon to complete, when all had settled the Scanned total: was 117, so a big difference in the scanned total when avast at logon was run having only logged off/on to initiate the scan. So it is strange that even though there are less files scanned in the background by standard shield the on-demand scan was slightly slower.
It's difficult to make a correlation between speeds right now.
I think defragmentation at logon time was significantly better with Windows 9x and Me.
Maybe things are different on NT platforms.

So overall for me there doesn't appear to be much difference if I do a normal on-demand scan or use the avast on logon scan, it may well make a difference for someone with more programs running on boot/logon.
My case is, obviously not yours, I have a lot of background processes.

Tech, forgive my ignorance  :-[ but does it include an uninstaller? i.e: could we uninstall it?  ???
It's a standalone. If you want to disable scheduling you could: boot and cancel the scanning or just schedule it twice. An option to unschedule will appear.
The best things in life are free.

Spyros

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »
First try, it gave me the "unknown error message - Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Failed" error. Never had it before... (although I know about the problems other users had and the FAQ solution about it).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 09:29:18 PM »
First try, it gave me the "unknown error message - Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Failed" error. Never had it before... (although I know about the problems other users had and the FAQ solution about it).
Strange that only you get this... can you start avast Home at any time or you can't? I mean, will you see this error when you open avast normally?

Spyros

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 09:39:20 PM »
No, it just happened when I tried your program. Never saw it before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »
No, it just happened when I tried your program. Never saw it before.
Any other message on avast logs?
Again, the program only launches *the same avast executables* (ashSimpl.exe or ashEnhcd.exe)...

Spyros

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:37 PM »
OK, I re-registered "ACTSKIN4.OCX" and this time it worked. The scanner was skinned, although I use the skinless GUI. After logon, I started avast again and it was skinless again. I don't know if this had something to do with the problem, but everything works OK now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2007, 10:02:17 PM »
OK, I re-registered "ACTSKIN4.OCX" and this time it worked. The scanner was skinned, although I use the skinless GUI.
I see... I do not prepare the tool to use the skinless version. I don't think there are that many people using it... although it is possible to 'read' the status of avast and then run the desired version. Do you think it will worth the programming work for it?

Spyros

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:40 PM »
Do you think it will worth the programming work for it?
Sure, if you have the time, go for it  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2007, 10:11:48 PM »
Do you think it will worth the programming work for it?
Sure, if you have the time, go for it  ;)
My leisure time is crying... eh eh... I'll give a try. It will take one hour to do and test...