Author Topic: What Does The avast! Company Use For It's Own Antispyware Protection?  (Read 10849 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What Does The avast! Company Use For It's Own Antispyware Protection?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 01:21:03 AM »
Well I'm really sorry if I wasted any of your time blah, blah, blah ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

internetworld7

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 02:52:00 AM »
And when you do email the Alwil team I'm sure you will get a polite response telling you precisely nothing.  Security conscious companies simply do not supply this information. 

So what you're telling me is, I'm going to get yet still another response of blah, blah, blah?  ;D ROFL!

internetworld7

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 02:53:38 AM »

LOL!  ;D

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 03:35:39 AM »

LOL!  ;D

You would do well to listen to people like Tech and DavidR, They have forgotten more about computer security than most people know.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 04:42:58 AM »
Anyone who knew half as much about security as Tech or David have forgotten would know better than than to ask the laughable question posed by the originator of this thread. 

I just looked up the originator's location - I'm guessing there is a very good chance I once managed some of security of something that he would not have wanted me disclosing in a place like this.

ROFLMAO. 

internetworld7

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 07:02:26 AM »
Anyone who knew half as much about security as Tech or David have forgotten would know better than than to ask the laughable question posed by the originator of this thread. 

I just looked up the originator's location - I'm guessing there is a very good chance I once managed some of security of something that he would not have wanted me disclosing in a place like this.

ROFLMAO. 

You see what I mean? Blah, blah, blah!!!  ;D It just never stops! Now my original question is considered by this disrespectful person as "laughable". Everybody else was at least trying to help and staying on topic. But now you have some Special Olympics person claiming that he could disclose, "something that he would not have wanted me disclosing in a place like this." So I guess that implies he could disclose some personal information of mine publicly? Even if you could, how is that appropriate or necessary? And is this the way people at avast! behave now?

Actually my remarks to the responses I've been getting here were nothing more than humor, no harm intended. I'm not upset at all and I've used avast! for several years but I don't see how my original question is "laughable"?

alanrf, your remarks are a personal attack on me and rude. You're out of line. You may not have liked my replies but I never personally insulted anyone (until now).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:13:55 AM by internetworld7 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »
If the avast moderator considers my comments to be a personal attack I shall, no doubt, be publicly censured here and I will accept their view as I stand by mine. 

You too have been totally dismissive of our fellow contributors and now you complain that you have not been treated with the respect that you seem to believe that you alone deserve.

I did not and I do not claim to have any personal information about you.  I do not know (or care) who you are.  I did say that I had responsibility for security in an organization that was used by very large number of persons (especially in this state) and that I doubted whether any user of that organization would wish its security methods discussed in the way you asked for Alwil to divulge its security matters.  I am still amazed that anyone would expect it to do so. 

If you find my term "laughable" offensive then I apologize for hurting your feelings.  May I assume that you too will apologize to our fellow contributors for your completely derisive comments about their postings?

Since you are offended by my post (and by the way, I like our fellow contributors, am just an avast user like you) I shall report myself to the moderator on your behalf.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:23:13 AM by alanrf »

internetworld7

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
If the avast moderator considers my comments to be a personal attack I shall, no doubt, be publicly censured here and I will accept their view as I stand by mine. 

You have too have been totally dismissive of our fellow contributors and now you complain that you have not been treated with the respect that you seem to believe that you alone deserve.

I did not and I do not claim to have any personal information about you.  I do not know (or care) who you are.  I did say that I had responsibility for security in an organization that was used by very large number of persons (especially in this state) and that I doubted whether any user of that organization would wish its security methods discussed in the way you asked for Alwil to divulge its security matters.  I am still amazed that anyone would expect it to do so. 

If you find my term "laughable" offensive then I apologize for hurting your feelings.  May I assume that you too will apologize to our fellow contributors for your completely derisive comments about their postings?

Since you are offended by my post (and by the way, I like our fellow contributors, am just an avast user like you) I shall report myself to the moderator on your behalf.

Are you living in the 17th century or something? May I remind you this is not a court of law. What is all of this "I shall, I shall" stuff about? Geez, Let's clarify something here alanrf, I in no way shape or form made  "derisive comments" to your "fellow contributors" (You really have a unique way of communicating. LOL) Now your trying to clean up what it is was you originally said which you know full well was rude and you made it personal. Your "fellow contributors" weren't attacked by me but I simply made light of their responses in a humorous way since in my opinion most of the responses really had nothing to do with the price of tea in China. And it appears no one was offended except you, hmmm...  ???

If I misinterpreted your statement about disclosing security information then I apologize if I hurt your feelings. And if anybody else for that matter found offense in what I've said, then my humble apologies to you as well.

Let's kill this here, I have much better things to do. No big deal, no love loss.

Best Regards,

internetworld7
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:45:47 AM by internetworld7 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:29 AM »
I write English - as I was taught it in its native environment.  I believe my fellow English writer, DavidR, saw your abuse for what it is too. 

I was, in no way, trying to "clean up" my comments - you will note I stated clearly that I stand by them.  I simply apologized - out of common courtesy - if you found one of my words offensive. 

I regret that, reading your posts in this thread as a whole, I cannot see that putting "LOL" after derisive comments make them less so.  It is quite often said that humor does not carry well in forums - perhaps this is the case here and perhaps too we are just divided by our common language.

We can, perhaps, agree that pursuing this further is not valuable.  I shall refrain from further comment and leave any last word to you.       

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »
1. Chill down everybody, please.

2. To answer the original question, we don't internally use much. There's a firewall on the perimiter (running on Linux) + some Cisco stuff. Programmers don't use anything except avast at all (no antispyware, no firewall, ...). Of course, we have tons on 3rd party stuff on our test machines - but that's not for the sake of protection (it's mainly for testing interop issues). I'm not sure if the sales people use anything else.

3. I'm closing this thread.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.