Author Topic: disappearing scans from UI?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline mrformat

disappearing scans from UI?
« on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
I have recently installed Avast antivirus several times on multiple computers because the complete selection of antivirus scans keep disappearing except the "Custom Scan". 

After the re-installation ALL "Full Virus Scan"; "Targeted Scan"; "Explorer Scan"; "Boot-Time Scan" are visible When I click on "Protection / Virus Scans", however after running a Boot time scan, I re-open the UI, and click on "Protection / Virus Scans", and AGAIN, ALL scan options have disappeared except "Custom Scan". 

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!  How can I possibly run The other scans when they're not in the UI window?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: disappearing scans from UI?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »
@  mrformat
This is certainly strange.

What does the Notification say, you have one in your screenshot ?

Why do you find it necessary to run a boot-time scan ?

I can't recall having seen the "Explorer Scan" in the screenshot you as you don't go into the Virus Scans screen to run  it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »
@mrformat
Have you tried doing a system "Restart" since doing that boot scan?

Offline mrformat

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 10:34:49 PM »
- Which version/build of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
I just re-installed it so it's the latest build. 21.3.2459 (build 21.3.6164.661)
I built a brand new computer i9 desktop gaming laptop with Win 10 pro 64 bit.
I run Malwarebytes / spybot regularly (Just ran it yesterday)
I've always ONLY used AVAST free edition for the past 12 years or so.

Offline mrformat

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »
@  mrformat

I can't recall having seen the "Explorer Scan" in the screenshot you as you don't go into the Virus Scans screen to run  it.

The Notification is for "silent Mode".  That's the only thing.  I only run the boot time scan if issues show up, but I do like to have the option to run it.  As it is now, with it not being there.  I can't run it.  I run a regular custom scan every 1st of the month.

Offline mrformat

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 10:39:34 PM »
@mrformat
Have you tried doing a system "Restart" since doing that boot scan?

yes I have.  I just ran one now in case, and still only have the one scan available.  I've noticed this started happening about 2 months ago to ALL my PC's / Laptops (I have many in the house).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 11:41:45 PM »
@  mrformat

The Notification is for "silent Mode".  That's the only thing.  I only run the boot time scan if issues show up, but I do like to have the option to run it.  As it is now, with it not being there.  I can't run it.  I run a regular custom scan every 1st of the month.

The boot-time scan is really a special purpose scan for issues that can't be dealt with in normal mode.
That said, I can't understand why that would impact the User Interface, you can of course submit a bug report using the right click on the avast tray icon and select About Avast - see attached screenshot, click to expand.

With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mrformat

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 11:55:45 PM »
This is the screenshot I have taken after my re-install.  As you can see all options are there, but low and behold, they may not be there by the end of the week / month.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:39:47 AM »
If they aren't there, then the BUG Report is your next step.

But in all honesty I can't see how/why the boot-time scan would have this impact on the User Interface.

Thinking on something you said before:
The Notification is for "silent Mode".  That's the only thing.

Try taking it out of silent mode before you run the scan again and see if there is any interaction there.

Offline mrformat

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »
I will try, however silent mode is just to stop the many annoying popup banners from Avast. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:36 AM »
I will try, however silent mode is just to stop the many annoying popup banners from Avast. 

It is just to try and rule it out.

That said I have been using Avast Free for 17 years and whilst it has changed over the years, I don't find them that frequent. 

I can't recall the last one I got, some I get aren't in your fact intrusive more toaster popups. Plus the ones you see when you open the UI (which silent mode will have no impact). Many are I just laugh as they are so dumb and I either think, who cares, People can see your IP, so what.