Author Topic: Is it possible to block a threat permanently?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Bowdon

Is it possible to block a threat permanently?
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
There is a forum I visit and one of the people on there has a signature that seems to trigger a threat notification. It lists the site and then Url:Botnet

I tried blocking the address it says using adblocker but Avast still detects, blocks and notifies me.

What I've noticed is Avast only seems the block the address temporarily. So if I'm writing a post or browsing other parts of the forum and come across this poster later on Avast will detect, block and notify. This eventually fills up the notification list.

Is there anywhere to add a web address in to Avast to permanently block it?

I use the Free version.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Is it possible to block a threat permanently?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:28:26 PM »
There is a forum I visit and one of the people on there has a signature that seems to trigger a threat notification. It lists the site and then Url:Botnet
Have you considered that it can be a false positive?  something to check first

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
Have you considered that it can be a false positive?  something to check first

@Bowdon
Whilst I have seen the same idiotic prats pulling stunts like this placing quasi code in text fields.

That said I haven't seen this make Avast alert in those that I have seen instances like this. 

As for blocking it (or rather not scanning it), Url : Botnet isn't an actual address that you could possibly block in the Avast Web Shield.  The only way it may be possible would be to add that forum to the web shield Exceptions. 

Now you mention "It lists the site and then Url : Botnet" but you don't state any domain name (forum or external url) ?
If that is an external url to the forum, the last thing I would suggest would be to exclude that address from being scanned.

Personally I would suggest you report this to the actual forum effected by this.

What would help more is a screenshot of the Avast Alert, as we have no clue what the url/trigger is and whether you should add an exception or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bowdon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:33:53 PM »
@DavidR

I was nervous about typing the offending url in my post as I didn't want to risk anyone going to it.

I've attached a picture of the alert message that I get from Avast which contains the offending url.

I did speak to a moderator about the issue and he helped me isolate it to one persons signature. The problem I have is because I use adblockers the image part isn't there for me. I just see a link to the persons email address. But when the moderator clicked the image link he said it redirected him to open an Etore account (I'm thinking he means Etoro?).

He said he would message the guy about it. But so far nothing as been done.

I could opt to put the guy on ignore. But I like his posts so I'm reluctant to do it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
In this forum a user posting links like that (to an Etoro account, etc.) could be considered link spamming and could get the user Warned and or followed by being Banned.

Whilst I don't know what would be redirecting it to the findresults.site in the notification.

The site is blacklisted by others also and considered - a Critical Security Risk - https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/findresults.site
Lots of security hints given at this check - https://webhint.io/scanner/20f8a70a-6fae-4994-afca-876ff877c23d
Virus total several hits - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/7c07345f2d2e423b4a64b7713736aa307ba05f10da1b9dc3c925e4b20ad50257/detection

Interesting on this one - findresults.site - This website is for sale! - https://awesometechstack.com/analysis/website/findresults.site/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security