Author Topic: Avast didn't see small K virus on a computer and flash drive  (Read 4373 times)

dixy

Avast didn't see small K virus on a computer and flash drive
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:01:20 PM »
My avast didn't see something called  AUTORUN.BAT-VBS small K virus, but nod32 on another computer detected it. Please explain why avast doesn't see viruses .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast didn't see small K virus on a computer and flash drive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:10:34 PM »
Send an email with the file (false positive or infected) to: virus@avast.com
You can use Alwil FTP server as a second way to transfer only big files. Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming (please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded).
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

dixy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
Unfortunately I think that nod deleted it but I will try to send the log from nod. I'm not sure that I can copy and send the original file.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
The log file alone is actually useless - we need the file itself to be able to add the detection.

The preferred way for sumbitting samples is e-mail (or sending from chest).

As I've already noticed several times - uploading the files to FTP, without additional contact, is not a good idea. The FTP is not monitored - so unless we are expecting some files, we won't really see them. Besides, finding a folder of randomly-names files on FTP doesn't really say much about them. If we detect it - is it a false positive or something that we added recently? If not - is it a false positive that was already fixed? Is it a virus sample? Is it just some random file some warez guys tried to upload to the FTP?
So, please, don't upload the files to the ftp unless asked to do so (or unless it's arranged in advance).

dixy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
As I said, avast didn't see that so it isn't in the chest. I will try to send it somehow.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
If you can obtain a sample it can be manually added to the chest.

You can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DINET

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »
Hi, I have same problem, :(  I send you this file to ftp incoming  ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

the  name file is "virus autorun.zip"

I'm waiting this solution

:)  excuse me my bad english  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi, I have same problem, :(  I send you this file to ftp incoming  ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
the  name file is "virus autorun.zip"
Thanks for sending... I hope they monitor the ftp server in order to get your file.
Remember that it is always better send the file by email to virus@avast.com like Igor posted before.
The best things in life are free.

DINET

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
Yes, I send it too to virus@avast.com, it is in .avast file, but you have chage the extension file to .zip and extract, ok ;)