Author Topic: Firefox: Thunderbird  (Read 4621 times)

Steele

Firefox: Thunderbird
« on: February 12, 2004, 02:08:12 AM »
Hello:  ;D

I'm considering installing a 2nd web browser. Firefox at that. Does anyone think that will be the LAST (please god!) name change?

When I install it, and if I decide to install the e-mail client to go alongside it, will avast4home automaticaly protect the new mail accounts I set up in....I think it's called: Thunderbird? Or is there some tweaking that needs to be done?

I've checked AUTOMATICALY PROTECT FUTURE E-MAIL ACCOUNTS, however, I don't know if there strictly talking about Outlook EXP/Outlook.

Steele

An unrelated question: PLUGINS

AS WELL AS FOR FLASH AND SHOCKWAVE: How do you install these? From their company homepages like in IE6?

Just how do you get Windows Media Player 9 in 98SE to be recognized by Firefox? I can't get the plugin to work and I already have Firefox on my 98SE machine. I hear it's easier with XP Pro? I thought all those issues were going to be taken care of when they released the windows installer for Firefox?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 02:10:46 AM by Steele »

Culpeper

Re:Firefox: Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 02:30:48 AM »
I always just install additional email clients and then change the settings to emulate the settings in OE.  Seems to work for me.

Steele

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:24:11 AM »
I just found out Firefox has no Windows Media Player support....can you belive this?? I'm so pissed.  >:(

So it looks as if Mozilla (the full broswer) will be the best substitute for me as it HAS Windows Media Player support and better plugin support.

Thanks a bunch Culpeper!!

tigemac

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 04:20:07 AM »
Actually, Firefox/Thunderbird is a great combo.  Did you check the forums for Windows Media Player support?  There may be a way around this by using one of the plugins.

RE Thunderbird....Doesn't appear that Avast! monitors new accounts created in TB.  You must make the change by hand.

TigeMac

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 06:25:53 AM »
I use the Quicktime plug-in for for Firefox/Firebird but I've noticed that sometimes my Windows media player works in Firebird.  Probably because of the default file exension for some media types.

The Mozilla (full browser) is probably just as good as Firefox plus it already has a built in email client.

For some reason I like the Firefox better though.  Plug-ins are just files copied into the plug-in folder.  Want me to send them to you?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 06:28:37 AM by Culpeper »

Steele

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:28:06 AM »
Thanks for your help guys!

Unfortunately I read and was told by members of the Mozilla community (public forum) that the Windows Media Player 9 Series does not work with Firefox.... so the control pannel aplets will not load when trying to watch a CNET.com video, for example.

I know about how you can add the FIREFOX.EXE registry patch into the shiminclusionlist which makes Firebird and Mozilla work, but it did not work for me under Win98SE with Firefox. I use that machine to test out new software apps. However some users slaim it does work and others tell me it's a new "reported" bug and it's a 50/50 chance it will work one day...and another day it won't. Also it appears that plugins are more easily detected and loaded if you use XP.... how does that make sense??  ??? :P

Culpeper, although the full Mozilla app is somewhat slower: just when loading right?....I think your right about it being better since it already includes a nice mail program and is not a public technolgy preview.

I do however share your interest in Firefox!  ;D  I do want it but....not if I have to make all these modifications. Some of which should have been FIXED already in the original Mozilla 1.6 browser. They've had about 3 releases so far with the original problem not yet addressed! ::) I know that Firefox is a technology preview but....come on! Don't hand down the original Mozilla flaws into your Firefox browser!?? :-\

Thanks a bunch for your willingness to send the plugins my way but....I already have the plugins so.... as I'm quite the tech savy wolf)*rubs his paw against his chest*  ;D ... what steps can I take to give it another go with Firefox. Which plugins do I need to copy and where are they located? I like to learn myself how to find and fix things on my own.

Ironic how I'm getting help on this in an AntiVirus public forum! LOL ;) ;D

Lata!

~ Steele Wolf ~

EDIT: One more thing I'm a little confused about...

When setting up say "Mozilla 1.6"... should I DISABLE Avast4Home so it installs faster and properly and doesn't interfere? And if so....I think during the install you set up your mail client after copying the browser files....(maybe after).

If it's during.... will Avast4Home not set up mail protection if the services are disabled.....I don't know what's the best way of installing. 9/10 times you DISABLE AntiVirus apps before any install... ESPECIALY when it comes to Microsoft Windows Update Patches! ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:44:39 AM by Steele »

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 03:13:54 AM »
Refer to the Mozilla site on how to get the plugins installed.  All I did was wait until I needed a plugin and went from there.  I've never disabled Avast installing other software and I've never had a problem.

Steele

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 10:38:50 PM »
Got all my plugins to work and copied the Outlook EXP. mail prtection settings to Mozilla Mail. (Mozilla 1.6)  ;D

Unfortunetley the mail protection wizard did not "automaticaly protect accounts I create in the future"...despite it being checked when I started Mozilla Mail for the first time.  ???

Maybe I'm missing something here? Manual settings worked great!

Thanks,
~ Steele Wolf ~
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 10:39:49 PM by Steele »