Author Topic: new install buffer overrun error  (Read 2997 times)

shara

new install buffer overrun error
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
I've seen this error in several spots but I can't find any actual answers as to what to do.

This is a fresh XP home install with all current service packs, I down loaded the current avast home version but when I go to load it I get a:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Buffer Overrun Detected!
Program: ...~1/locals~1/TEMP/_AV_SFX.TM~A03376/AVAST.SETUP
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

One of the techs suggested:

> If setup crashes on fresh install, create admin.ini in the same folder as setupeng.exe with this contents:
>[BufferLog.setupini]
>Enable=1
>
>and run with commandline setupeng.exe /savelog "c:\avsetup.log". It will start installation with default
>settings in silent mode (only small progress window will be shown). Check if c:\avsetup.log was created
>and send it to me

So I tried that and it is not creating any file.

Help would be appreciated

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: new install buffer overrun error
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:19:46 AM »
I haven't any experience of this but even though you have the latest version of XP Home, etc. since it is relating to the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, is it possible that there is an update for that ?

I have heard of other Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime errors relating other programs, namely Outpost Pro firewall and the suggestions on that forum was to update the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library.

Other than that I haven't much to offer, but looking at the Program: oath, where are you running the setupeng.exe from and what folder are you trying to install it in ?

The avast.setup is used for the program and VPS updates, so in theory the program must have been installed, probably rebooted and this is happening because a connection is present shortly after boot and the avast auto update is trying to check for updates.

So can you be a little more detailed as to when exactly this error happens. I'm just calling it a night so I hope this information may help others trying to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: new install buffer overrun error
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
shara, it would be helpful if you could create a memory dump of the avast.setup process at the moment this message box is on the screen.

To create the dump, please follow these steps:

- download the program http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe
- run the downloaded program with the following parameters

userdump.exe avast.setup c:\avastsetup.dmp

- the previous step creates file c:\avastsetup.dmp. ZIP this file (name it e.g. avastsetup-dump.zip) and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming .
Please note that you don't have READ access to the ftp server (only WRITE) - meaning that you won't be able to verify the upload (you won't even see the file listed).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.