Author Topic: Unable to remove virus - please help!  (Read 2498 times)

DonneNaLost

Unable to remove virus - please help!
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »
Hi there.

Over the weekend I've managed to get hold of a virus/trojan that infects the lsass file, and I can't seem to get rid of it! The virus is kind of like a time bomb- it switches my computer off without warning at unpredictable times, and then whenever you try to boot the PC up, it gets as far as the windows loading screen before saying "warning: unable to open lsass.exe" and then closes itself off. It has some sort of time release on it, and you can't boot up your pc for a couple of hours afterwards. I'm not entirely sure how I picked it up, but I think it was from a download I extracted into a game.

No anti-virus software, including avast! is picking this up, nor is spyware or adware programs. I've tried doing a system repair, and the computer just shuts itself off with any type of repair work done to it. :/

Can anybody help me please?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to remove virus - please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
Which other antivirus are you using?
Which other antispyware tools are you using?
Did you run avast at boot time?
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Unable to remove virus - please help!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
Hi DonneNaLost,

Can you boot into safe mode?

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

I would try running a stand-alone virus removal tool like DrWeb CureIT!, McAfee Stinger or Trend Micro Sysclean in safe mode.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt is the best option. If you can't download the programs on your computer, do it on another computer and burn them to CD. If you can't see the safe mode, copy the files to the HD and reboot.

Whether you download the programs directly or copy them from CD, put them in the root directory so they'll be easier to find in safe mode, i.e., directly in  C:\, rather than C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents.

Links here:

http://www.geocities.com/dontsurfinthenude/antivir2.htm
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog