Author Topic: Boot-Time Scan in Vista with "No Gui boot" enabled  (Read 2949 times)

techsol

Boot-Time Scan in Vista with "No Gui boot" enabled
« on: February 28, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
I have recently ran into an issue with the Boot-Time Scan in Vista on a new Acer Laptop.  Whenever trying to run the boot-time scan, I found that all I would get is a blank black screen.  Hard drive activity indicated that the scan was running in the background, but nothing was being displayed on the screen.

I did some searching, and remembered that I had customized by Boot Splash screen, and as such selected the "No GUI Boot" option in msconfig.  Once I unselected it, the boot-time scan worked normally again.

Is there anyway to get the boot-time scan to work with a custom Boot Splash screen?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Boot-Time Scan in Vista with "No Gui boot" enabled
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
I don't know exactly what the No Gui Boot option does on Vista, but the boot-time scanner didn't work with the /NOGUIBOOT option on the previous operating systems - so my guess for the answer would be "no".

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
The same thing happens with e.g. the standard chkdsk program (part of Windows) that occasionally starts at Windows boot as well.

See e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=chkdsk%20noguiboot
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:09:48 AM »
This issue will be solved in the next program update - the NOGUIBOOT switch will be temporarily disabled when you schedule a boot-time scan, and re-enabled afterwards.