Author Topic: zonealarm (free)  (Read 3912 times)

micky77

zonealarm (free)
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »
Hello all, I currently have ZA free version 6.5.737.000, and have not been notified of any new updates for some months. Yet I notice the new free version for download is 7.0.337.000. Can anyone explain,is it because the newer version doesn't contain any new security updates. Many thanks for any explanation. P.S.    I do like ZA. Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: zonealarm (free)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »
Strange behavior from ZoneLabs... why aren't they updating the old versions through their own update?
Does the autoupdate feature is present on ZA free on only in the Pro version (I don't remember anymore...).
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:57:05 PM »
As of the last version I had  (6-point-?) before I ditched it it favor of Comodo, ZA free did include auto-checking for updates.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

micky77

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »
Yes it does update automatically, and it has done twice or more since it was installed,the last time about August 06

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »
This on automatic updates:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/10/zonealarms_new_autoupdater_pro.html

Should be working on the free version:

The guy I met forwarded my query to Laura Yecies, vice president and general manager of CheckPoint's consumer and small business division. Turns out that sometime in June an update the company shipped to the (free and pay) 6.5.x versions of ZoneAlarm allows the program to silently download and install fixes on its own. Yecies said the company switched on the auto-update for two reasons.

Here are the latest changes:

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html#7.0.337.000

You can always download the latest version and slect 'upgrade' when installing.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

drhayden1

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
went from za free to comodo(which sometimes block me access to the internet ???)to pc tools firewall plus(free)on both my laptop and quad and is great and very simple ::)
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:12:26 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »
Nice links guys as I will be changing firewalls soon as MS in their kindness gave me a Vista ultimate for free when I entered a competition during the Vista launch in UK.  Only the 32 bit version though and I did want 64 bit, still for the price I can't complain