Author Topic: I DONT RECEIVE SMTP ALERTS BUT THE TEST YES!!!  (Read 2878 times)

pabloexactas

I DONT RECEIVE SMTP ALERTS BUT THE TEST YES!!!
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:55:53 AM »
Hello, sorry but my english is poor. Well, i have a problem with "avast Home last version" smtp alert... i configure the smtp settings and i add my email in the menu alert --> smtp... i test and it send the message to my email, i check the mail and i receive the mail that said "virus alert".....at this poitn all right but i scan files that had viruses and i dont receive the email to my account. I can receive the test but not the alert message(from virus alerts on access protection)... i don`t know what to do...please help me.

Note: if i use MAPI i receive the email to my account, but i don`t want to use it because it open outlook's windows and its sucks.....and i configure en Avast the MAPI settings --> profile, password and it pide the password of the outlook's account, i dont like it... i want to use SMTP sending protocol.

Bueno si hablan en castellano, les comento mi problema. El tema es que configure para recibir un mail de alerta por si encuentra algun virus.... hago la prueba y me dice que mando el mail satisfactoriamente, chequeo el mail y alli esta el mensaje... el problema es cuando deberia mandarme un mail cuando encuentra un archivo infectado(no en el test), puedo llagar a ver que aparece el icono en la barra de windows que dice escaneando el mensaje de salida y nada mas. Chequeo el mail y nunca llega!... reviso el archivo .log de ashMail y encuentro que dice que el smtp esta limpio(sin virus), es decir, lo envia,.....no puedo explicar que sucede.

Comentario: si hago que mande por MAPI me llega pero no quiero que use una cuenta de outlook ni que abra una ventana para esto.

Thanks! Saludos,
PabloExactas.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: I DONT RECEIVE SMTP ALERTS BUT THE TEST YES!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »
But i scan files that had viruses and i dont receive the email to my account.
I'm not sure the on-demand scanning has this alert feature, but only the on-access (resident). Maybe I'm wrong, maybe only in the Professional version you can configure the on-demand scannings (Tasks) to send virus alert by email.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »
This is a duplicate of the original post (added on to a very old topic) so perhaps it it is better in one of its own, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13623.msg223407#msg223407. I had been trying to attract attention to it.

It sounds like you set it up OK to be able to Test it. I don't see why it is able to send using MAPI and not SMTP. Nor can I see why it should be able to pass the test yet fail to send in the same way for the real alert notification.

I tried also, the SMTP test, it fired off with no issues other than my firewall alerted (first time use permissions) once accepted an email was sent directly. I now checked a known virus and avast alerted but it also failed to send using SMTP. The interesting thing is that the test doesn't have any interaction with OE my default email client and doesn't appear in the Sent Items folder.

So I added an email address to the MAPI section and did a check, avast alerted and an email alert was generated that worked, with very limited success, which wouldn't have worked in the real world if it was unattended. An alert popped-up asking if it was OK to send an email using OE and all this did was place an email in the Outbox waiting to be sent.

This is an old Topic almost two years old and things have obviously changed since then, you no longer have to input the SMTP user name and password as I believe this is taken from your  email client's default account settings.

So I couldn't get it to work on SMTP either, hopefully one of the avast team will pick up on this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 09:12:15 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pabloexactas

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:32:34 PM »
Sorry... i prefer the original post (added on to a very old topic) because i mail to support@avast.com and i put the old link for told him the problem i have.

This is a duplicate of the original post (added on to a very old topic) so perhaps it it is better in one of its own, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13623.msg223407#msg223407. I had been trying to attract attention to it.

It sounds like you set it up OK to be able to Test it. I don't see why it is able to send using MAPI and not SMTP. Nor can I see why it should be able to pass the test yet fail to send in the same way for the real alert notification.

I tried also, the SMTP test, it fired off with no issues other than my firewall alerted (first time use permissions) once accepted an email was sent directly. I now checked a known virus and avast alerted but it also failed to send using SMTP. The interesting thing is that the test doesn't have any interaction with OE my default email client and doesn't appear in the Sent Items folder.

So I added an email address to the MAPI section and did a check, avast alerted and an email alert was generated that worked, with very limited success, which wouldn't have worked in the real world if it was unattended. An alert popped-up asking if it was OK to send an email using OE and all this did was place an email in the Outbox waiting to be sent.

This is an old Topic almost two years old and things have obviously changed since then, you no longer have to input the SMTP user name and password as I believe this is taken from your  email client's default account settings.

So I couldn't get it to work on SMTP either, hopefully one of the avast team will pick up on this.

Thanks,
PabloExactas.