Author Topic: Update server times out after moving wireless network  (Read 3386 times)

abracapokey

Update server times out after moving wireless network
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »
I use avast Home free v.4.7.942 on a WinXPSP2 machine under a wireless home network with Comcast cable broadband. The other machines on the network include another WinXPSP2 desktop, and a WinXPSP2 Media Edition laptop. We have a Motorola SB5101 Surfboard cable modem and a Linksys WRT54G v6 wireless router updated with DDWRT firmware. I have a D-Link DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter on my machine.

I never had any problems with avast until we moved to our new house a week ago. We set up the wireless network again in the new location, and my husband's laptop and desktop are both fine, but suddenly I'm having problems with some applications not recognizing my machine and timing out server connections. Those applications include avast's update server, iTunes access to its store, and live365 Internet radio service (both online and from the local software). All other applications that I have tested (e-mail both local and web-based, gaim, skype, online banking, etc.) have no problem.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling avast with the latest download, but when it attempts to update I still get the following error sequence:

Downloading file: servers.def.vpu.stamp

[it keeps trying for some time; then, when it fails:]

Error: cannot connect to server.

Avast then repeats the attempt to connect, continuing the loop for about 45 minutes, and then gives up. If I attempt to cancel the connection process, it warns me that I could corrupt avast if I cut it off in mid-cycle. I have not attempted to complete a cancellation since reinstalling avast last night.

The only firewalls we use are Windows Firewall (which is set to accept avast--I double-checked) and the built-in firewall in our Linksys WRT54G ver.6 wireless router.

Any clues, Wise Ones?

Thanks--
abracapokey

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Update server times out after moving wireless network
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »
Try download servers.def from here: http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def
Save it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup folder
Start the update again.
Post what you get...