Author Topic: System crash after Avast install on new Vista notebook  (Read 6981 times)

in3worlds

System crash after Avast install on new Vista notebook
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:43:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just  bought a new HP Pavillion dv2210us notebook.  It has an AMD Turion processor 64 x2, 1.6 Ghz and is preinstalled with Windows Vista Premium.  Right after the initial startup, I went to the net and downloaded the current Avast home edition as I am long time Avast user.  It seemed to install fine, and then asked if I wanted to schedule a boot time scan, which I answered yes.  Then I clicked OK for the restart and the computer powered down.  It then started a boot scan, and seemed to be operating fine.  I walked away for a bit and came back and the monitor was black and the power button was flashing on and off, which I believe indicates a sleep or standby mode.  I pressed it once to wake up the machine, but it only stayed black screen, even though the power light was now constant.  Further, no other activity came up from the avast boot scan after several minutes.  I finally held the power button down to power down completely and try to reboot fresh.  It powered back up but absolutely nothing on the screen.  Total black screen.

I called HP support and got someone from India I could hardly understand.  He really got on my case about installing avast and said only Norton 2007 works well with the HP notebooks.  He had me take out the battery, and later restart and press F11 repeatedly to get into the recovery application to reformat the Windows drive from the partitioned drive that has the factory settings for Vista.  So, now my machine is back up and I am running the trial version of Norton until I can figure out what happened with avast.

Any suggestions on how I may be able to get avast on this laptop?  Thanks for any insights.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: System crash after Avast install on new Vista notebook
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »
My first thought would be did it came pre-installed with Norton 2007 and that wasn't uninstalled first ?

The technical  support's comment of 'only Norton 2007' works well with HP notebooks is absolute rubbish, more like they get a deal on it and push it.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable. In this case the conflict looks like it crashed.

You have to uninstall the Trial version of Norton 2007 and reboot before you install avast!
Is this just the Norton antivirus or is this the Internet security suite which has a firewall also ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
He really got on my case about installing avast and said only Norton 2007 works well with the HP notebooks.
This is ridiculous...

So, now my machine is back up and I am running the trial version of Norton
If you come back to avast, remember that to get rid of Norton is more difficult than to get rid of a virus infection.
Norton left behind tons of trash (files, registry keys, etc.). But there are solutions.
Also, Norton uses a lot of resources and you'll find your computer deeply depressed when you compare it with avast protection.
The best things in life are free.

reachnet

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »
I'm with both DavidR & Tech.
Support are just telling you what THEY want you to hear from THEIR perspective/agenda. It's basically crap and helps explain why I've NEVER made a Support Call in my life - and I'm not exactly a teenager anymore ! ;)
Methinks its got something to do with Capitalism ! Blame the Good Ole' USA for that one. ;)
Personally, I've got a few issues with Avast on Vista - but they're more "niggles" than "showstoppers", nothing that won't be resolved in due course.
I haven't used Norton in a long time - personally just don't need it.
Back to your problem - I have absolutely no idea why it happened - but the previous advice re Norton & Avast on the same box simultaneously is probably asking for problems.

The moral - do your own research/trust your instincts and develop yur own "truth" in this life.
FWIW - I'm sticking with Avast - been a good friend to me for quite a while now.
Good luck. :)

r

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »
Personally, I've got a few issues with Avast on Vista - but they're more "niggles" than "showstoppers", nothing that won't be resolved in due course.

Any more details about those issues? (preferably in a new thread, I think)
It would be nice to know what to check ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:49:45 PM »
Hi in3worlds,

Here is the removal tool to get the Norton nightmare from your machine: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Never use two resident scanners side by side, it is asking for trouble.
I made a very good friend by ridding a person's computer from the stranglehold of the overbloated Norton, and he thanked for it on his knees. He had been at it for a week. Now he is a satisfied avast user for a couple of years, and once in a while he ask me to look into the settings of Avast or help him renew his key.
I have made many friends promoting Avast. I am certain it will be the solution for your Operational System as well.

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

reachnet

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

Any more details about those issues? (preferably in a new thread, I think)
It would be nice to know what to check ;)

Don't think it's worth a new thread - which is a good sign in itself ! ;)
The only issue I have now (I think) is when Avast auto-updates succesfully.
When it does, clicking the text in the dialog box that typically pops up bottom right doesn't display the "Summary" window as it does in XP/SP2.
Strangely enough - the "Summary" window pops up successfully when doing a manual Program or Definitions update.
Avast must be doing a Window-type call that Vista doesn't like I guess.

r

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
Check out this topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0 it is a beta release with a number of fixed/improvements some relating to Vista. It may or may not be related to your problem, if so it depends on how you view beta testing on a live machine. However previous beta releases for avast have generally gone well.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

reachnet

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »
Check out this topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0 it is a beta release with a number of fixed/improvements some relating to Vista. It may or may not be related to your problem, if so it depends on how you view beta testing on a live machine. However previous beta releases for avast have generally gone well.

Thanks David - checked the topic. I'll just wait till the new vn is available. Got WAY too much on my plate at the minute ! ;)
Thanks anywayz. :)

r

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 02:39:01 AM »
Your welcome, just monitor the topic for information on the regular program update release.

in3worlds

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
I've been away for awhile, but I just read all of the replies.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  I agree that tech support for HP was really acting more like sales for Norton.  In fact, they even went so far as to tell me that I should buy Norton 2007 through them at HP tech support because then HP tech support will "back up" the tech support Symantec will give me.  It would only cost me $69.95 for two years.  Unbelievable, these guys.  In any event, Norton was preinstalled on the Pavillion laptop.  Polonus, thanks for the link for the Norton uninstall.  I've been very happy with Avast for several years now on my XP machines, and will install it on the Vista box after removing Norton.  I'm glad to hear that Avast is working on other Vista machines.

Thanks for the help,

in3worlds

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 03:03:25 AM »
No problem, glad we could help and a belated welcome to the forums.

Just goes to show, when you go to support for help, whose interest are they working, their own in your case trying to sell products that resolve your problem.