Author Topic: email from "Avast" claiming subscription expired; insane amount charged....  (Read 1422 times)

Offline jones292

Hello

I saw a email claiming "Our Avast Subscription expired today...with the following message.....should be be worried and concerned?...

"We hope you’ve been enjoying our Avast Antivirus so far! Your Subscription plan will expire Today,

so we thought we’d check in about next steps.We have deduct the amount $449.00 from you account .

If you’d like to cancel this subscription plan feel free to  call us at +1-808-213-7706....from a david ben <jaoapap@icloud.com>

Kenny and Alice Jones

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Hi

Yeh, that doesn't look/sound right at all!
Quite absurd.

I'm sure others with more knowledge of the Billing process/Subscription will respond.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ jones292
Looks more like a scam, as this looks nothing like the normal procedure.

There have been many reports in other media sources about renewal scams and this sounds very much like that.  These scams are sent out in speculation to many antivirus products with very high volume of customers.

Ordinarily you would receive an email from 'Avast' (not some fly by night email address) or one of its payment processing agents, that your renewal subscription would be taken in a week.  Nothing like you mentioned.

I would recommend that you don't call the number, that isn't the way business is done and if as I suspect a scam, they know you are hooked.  They would possibly offer a discount to get you to pay and even then they will probably be asking for your credit card details and there is nothing to stop them using/selling that information on.

Interestingly there are 1000+ entries for "@icloud.com" about spammers (I think they stop counting after 1000), so it is very strange for that email domain to be used by a legitimate organisation.

If your Avast Subscription (right click the Avast Tray icon - Registration information) is still valid, it just points to potential SCAM.

What I'm trying to do is give you information but not seeking any personal information.

EDIT - I have reported this to Avast in the hope they can investigate/clarify.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 10:31:09 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
@ jones292
Looks more like a scam, as this looks nothing like the normal procedure.
Confirmed, that's a known scam. Don't call the number..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hello

I saw a email claiming "Our Avast Subscription expired today...with the following message.....should be be worried and concerned?...

"We hope you’ve been enjoying our Avast Antivirus so far! Your Subscription plan will expire Today,

so we thought we’d check in about next steps.We have deduct the amount $449.00 from you account .

If you’d like to cancel this subscription plan feel free to  call us at +1-808-213-7706....from a david ben <jaoapap@icloud.com>

Kenny and Alice Jones

Hi,

I can confirm that the email is not from Avast.
If you are ever unsure of any charge claiming to be from Avast, you can always contact our sales support team via https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/sales_other_general
If possible, please send the email to me via PM or alternatively contact Avast support via https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact