Author Topic: No file access in Windows 10 for some files, even with exceptions  (Read 1059 times)

Offline PARALAX

As there was no reaction in my last post from german section, I try it once again in english.

I am currently having a major problem with the free version of Avast. This includes, among other things, to install files of older applications such as "Winamp 5.63", which I absolutely need. These have recently been recognized as adware files and are therefore not executed. The problem with this is that, despite the added exception approval, they can no longer be started, regardless of which settings are still made. I already deactivated all options that might have to do with it: PUP, file system protection, as well as the check options when executing, opening and writing files and several subsequent restarts. Unfortunately, it doesn't help! The error message reads as follows: "The specified device, path, or file cannot be accessed. You may not have sufficient permissions to access the item."

Even disabling the Avast protection feature completely does not solve the problem. Only the error message changes (NSIS Error - Error lauching Installer). In other words, once executed, the file can no longer be accessed, including copying and viewing the file. Only renaming and deleting still works, which unfortunately does not help if the file is on a burned data carrier such as a DVD-R. The corresponding file can only be executed again after Avast has been completely uninstalled and is displayed normally again with the corresponding icon.

The current Windows 10 (2H20) operating system is used and only the module for file protection is installed, as the remaining functions are not required. Virus and program libraries are also up to date and the UAC is completely deactivated or is set to "Never notify". The problem apparently also existed with earlier program versions, but has unfortunately gotten worse over time, especially with regard to the error detection of older installation files. Everything would be half as bad if at least the intended exception function would work correctly, but without this the program is completely useless to me.

The above problem apparently only occurs on Windows 10, tested with a laptop and desktop with the same build versions. This problem does not exist with an older Windows 7 PC. The files are not even recognized as a possible threat and can be started directly. It also doesn't seem to be due to the "Total Commander" with which all files are managed and executed on the PC, since the problem also occurs on both Windows 10 computers in connection with the built-in file explorer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No file access in Windows 10 for some files, even with exceptions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 02:33:43 AM »

1.  Have you set an exclusion for the file (but you are getting an error even with avast disabled) ?

2.  Even with avast disabled you are getting an error
That error is outlined in this search - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=NSIS+Error+-+Error+launching+Installer

Quote from: Extract
The message NSIS error – Error launching installer means that the installer has failed the self-check because it has been modified from its original form. If the installation continues, the software will be broken and won't function properly. To prevent this, the installer prevents itself from continuing.

And
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/nsis-error-launching-installer/4e727174-3a8a-4ab8-a749-bdc470db3828

I don't know if this error indicating the a modification to the original file is why avast is alerting.  Also the above links, etc. indicate this is an error with the installer, so is that what this is or is it an executable within the program (e.g. you already have it installed) ?

"Winamp 5.63" is a very old version of, I'm just wondering if it is compatible with Windows 10

Quote from: Extract
Download Winamp 5.63 for Windows - OldVersion.com
-http://www.oldversion.com › Multimedia › Winamp
22 Jun 2012

I wonder if it can be run in compatibility mode in win10.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline PARALAX

Re: No file access in Windows 10 for some files, even with exceptions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 02:15:55 PM »
>> 1.  Have you set an exclusion for the file (but you are getting an error even with avast disabled) ?

Yes and Yes! Both options failed. It's definitely due to a buggy update. I was able to reproduce this very easily by manually installing the offline version from February 2021 and starting the Winamp-Installer without a program update. The file is only recognized as infected with the current version, but this is not the case. The worst part is that the exception rule no longer works on Windows 10 - but it does on Windows 7.

>> "Winamp 5.63" is a very old version of, I'm just wondering if it is compatible with Windows 10

I know that this version is very old, but it is almost indispensable for me due to the functionality and stability, especially since I use it for web radio streaming with Shoutcast. There are much older programs, up to 20 years old, that still work with Windows 10. So that shouldn't be the topic. It just annoys me that I can't use the program in conjunction with Avast, at least not while the installer is running. The only way is to uninstall Avast, then install Winamp, and then reinstall Avast. But since it also affects some other programs or Tools, this is unfortunately not an option for me, so I must now switch to another product until the problem has been recognized, confirmed and corrected accordingly. If the exception function does not work, at least full file access must be guaranteed when the Avast modules are deactivated, which unfortunately is not currently the case.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:21:18 PM by PARALAX »