Author Topic: RPC Error repair if all else fails !  (Read 2030 times)

Andyslogos

RPC Error repair if all else fails !
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:02:45 PM »
Hi

I just thought I would post this in case it may help someone at some point.
I just had a lot of trouble with my pc but once fixed the Avast services would not run, just had the little red circle on the Icon with the rpc error code when you clicked on it.

I tried EVERYTHING in this forum with NO luck what so ever.

Out of desperation I uninstalled Avast for the second time, but this time on reboot I checked through my registry. To my amazement it was absolutely full of left over 'Alwil' & 'Avast' files. The uninstaller is totally Useless. I carefully cleaned out every single entry and then re installed Avast, it immediately started up perfectly after re boot !

So if you have any 'problems' with Avast that require an uninstall make sure you give your registry a good clean afterwards.

Alwil should supply a registry cleaning tool if their unistallers work so poorly.

Hope this may help someone one day!

Cheers
Andy

p.s. Glad it's fixed, I didn't want to ge else where  ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: RPC Error repair if all else fails !
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:16:13 AM »
Some of the registry keys are Legacy keys, created by windows and eventually deleted by windows.

There is an uninstall utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

I don't know how removing these keys would have an effect as they would be replaced on Install. However, the fact that it has worked for you is what is important.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: RPC Error repair if all else fails !
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:22:13 AM »
Alwil should supply a registry cleaning tool if their unistallers work so poorly.
Sure Andy... I think the 'access permition' to that keys were messed someway so, you, when using the uninstall, was unable to delete the keys...
The best things in life are free.