Author Topic: Avast not starting for terminal service non-admin 'users'  (Read 8413 times)

mattg

Avast not starting for terminal service non-admin 'users'
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:39:11 AM »
G'day,

My non-admin Terminal Service users sometimes get an error when Avast tries to start.

The message window is labelled "AswDisp.exe".
The message is "The instruction at 0x7c836d0b referenced memory at 0x0008018b. The memory could not be read"

Avast doesn't start for these users.

I NEVER get this message as an admin, and AVAST works well for me.
Currently connected there are 8 TS users, plus me as admin, plus a user connected physically at the console. The Task Manager shows only 1 TS user, plus the console user plus me as admin who have the aswdisp.exe process running.

I have looked through the Windows Server error logs and can see nothing that relates to AVAST at all.

All of the AMS error logs are empty except the 'info' logs and there is nothing in the last two weeks in this log.

Any ideas?
TIA

Matt G

ADNM 4.6.453, AVAST version 4.7.652
Windows server 2003 SP1

mattg

Re: Avast not starting for terminal service non-admin 'users'
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:21:41 PM »
I NEVER get this message as an admin, and AVAST works well for me.
I was wrong. Checked again today and without an error message at all, AVAST didn't start for me as an admin. Only two users have the "ASWDisp.exe" running today the local console session and one TS user (a different one than last time).

Should I un-install and re-install?

Should I just re-install over the top?

This has been working well for over a year and now just stopped performing as expected.

Any Ideas?

Matt 

mattg

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:25 AM »
Checked again today and without an error message at all, AVAST didn't start for me as an admin. Only two users have the "ASWDisp.exe" running today the local console session and one TS user (a different one than last time).
Today all but two users have the ASWDisp.exe running. Me as admin doesn't have it running.

I have performed a number of restarts - to no avail.

I have e-mailed support directly and I am still looking for suggestions or answers.

Matt

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:00:24 AM »
This is indeed an interesting problem. While we were unable to simulate it on our test machines, the information you provided in your first post somehow helped to give us a hint on what might be happening.

Would you be willing to install a test version of avast Server Edition (post-652) and check if the problem is resolved...?

Oh, wait a moment, you're using the managed version of avast, right? That makes it slightly more complicated as the updates are fetched from the AMS mirror. I'll think about the ways to update your system even in this scenario...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mattg

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »
Oh, wait a moment, you're using the managed version of avast, right? That makes it slightly more complicated as the updates are fetched from the AMS mirror. I'll think about the ways to update your system even in this scenario...
Any Ideas yet?
Today six of my 9 users are OK, but that means that 3 of 9 aren't. The users that this affects changes each day.

Matt

mattg

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 02:37:24 AM »
 :)
This seems to be working fine this last week or so. Either something got changed in the program that has filtered through or my unknown environmental variable at this end has ceased.

Thanks

Matt

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »
Have you upgraded to the latest version yet? There have been some changes that might have fixed this...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mattg

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 04:18:40 AM »
Have you upgraded to the latest version yet? There have been some changes that might have fixed this...

Cheers
Vlk
Yep, All set to auto update, so probably. Today version is 4.7.7
And still behaving appropriately.

Thanks
Matt G