Author Topic: Unable to login to Yahoo Messenger  (Read 7246 times)

GuitarGuy

Unable to login to Yahoo Messenger
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:44:26 PM »
Hello Avast Team!

I did search around for my query, but couldn't find a solution. So here I go again -

Recently, I switched from AVG to AVAST  8) . Now that I've the latest version of Avast Home, I'm unable to login to Yahoo Messenger.

I'll be glad if you tell me how to fix this problem!

Thanks & Regards,
Guitar Guy
www.CrazyEngineers.com

AssistantX

Re: Unable to login to Yahoo Messenger
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »
There is nothing in avast! designed to stop you from logging into a messenger service. Your problem is more likely a firewall issue or a problem with Yahoo. The fact it stopped working when you got avast! is likely just a coincident.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:04:09 PM by AssistantX »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Specially the first one, could (I'm not sure), interfere.
Can you browse other sites or not?
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
 :)  Hi GuitarGuy :

I have no trouble "Signing in(to)" my Yahoo Instant Messenger with
      Avast on my computer . Perhaps you did NOT FULLY "Remove" AVG
     (assuming your are referring to their antiVIRUS !? ) from your computer !?
      Nowadays, one antiVIRUS program needs to be completely removed,
      including use of that product's "Removal Tool/Uninstallation Application",
      BEFORE the installation of a subsequent antiVIRUS program .

GuitarGuy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 12:36:32 AM »
Thanks for your quick replies friends :)

I think the problem has started after I removed AVG & installed AVAST. The messenger worked perfectly well before installing AVAST.

Moreover, I've noticed that when I disable 'Mail Scanner' part of AVAST and try logging in to YM, it works pretty well. I guess the mail scanner doesn't allow YM to login.

I'm not sure if this is due to unsuccessful uninstall of AVG (?). But I doubt it. I'm pretty experienced in uninstalling programs ;)

-Guitar Guy-
www.CrazyEngineers.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:49:04 AM »
I'm not sure if this is due to unsuccessful uninstall of AVG (?). But I doubt it. I'm pretty experienced in uninstalling programs
Did you try in the past ClamWin?
Are you sure that AVG does not left behind its mail scanner or drivers or registry keys?
Strange that the mail provider will interfere into IM programs... very weird...
Which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

genmac12

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:03:37 AM »
 :(

I cant log into Yahoo messenger either.  I didnt have any previous antivirus software on the computer.  When you try to log in the Avast email scanner opens and sits there in the systray doing nothing but preventing signing in.  I have also disabled my firewall to see if i can sign in and it still doesnt let me.  The only change was installing avast.

rayi7332

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
Hello all. Just a suggestion, disable the e-mail module. IMHO e-mail scanning can be disabled with little or no impact. I don't use it because the on access module should catch any malware written to disk, like when saving an e-mail attachment. Just make sure your mail program doesn't automatically open attachments. Disabling on the fly scanning of e-mails may also free more resources and cut down on incompatibilities. Also a note on AVG uninstallation. I used the setup.exe and chose option to uninstall. It seemed to uninstall correctly but it did indeed leave drivers and a few registry keys. I just did a search with keyword avg and deleted all leftovers related to avg, and used Ccleaner to find the registry entries and remove them. Hope this helps.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 07:21:11 PM »
Prevention is much better than cure and detecting an infected email before it gets into your Inbox rather than 'in the collective database file .dbx, .pst, etc.' This could result in either the corruption (as it tries to extract an infected email and put the file back together) of or deletion of the database file containing multiple emails. So IMHO there is a huge potential impact.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rayi7332

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »
If you detach/save the attachment to disk first, and a scan indicates it is infected, you simply delete the attachment and or the e-mail from within the client interface, then no harm's done. That is a preventative measure. If an attachment is infected the resident on access module will catch it the moment it is written to disk. I see no potential impact with this approach. I use the method above and haven't had any mailbox corruption issues, client incompatibilities, or infections. Excluding mailbox files from being scanned will also help prevent mailbox corruption. Many AV systems will corrupt mailbox file types because they don't seem to be able to single out the offending email so they just delete/quarantine the entire file so that's another good reason not to scan them or try to have an AV repair them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »
Your system, your choice, but there are malicious emails that don't have attachments and opening them could be enough to start the ball rolling.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Glass

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
Are you connecting from YM using a proxy? Are you sure the proxy settings are correct?