Author Topic: Avast 21.4.2464 Rescue Disk does nothing  (Read 19413 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Avast 21.4.2464 Rescue Disk does nothing
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
Then there is one more possible workaround in this new release - I noticed in logs you sent me yours Rescue Disk is based on WinRE image which is used instead of WinPE when possible. This is new feature since previous version. You disable it now by property at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\RescueDisk , create here value UseWinRE (DWORD) and set it to 0.
My Registry does not have any entry for "RescueDisk" you describe: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\RescueDisk"

I have sent you a PM re latest rescuedisk.iso

Offline Martin Kudlicka

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
You are right, I forgot "settings" in property path, I corrected it in the previous post. Anyway "RescueDisk" also doesn't exists there, you have to create it. Or you can import attached reg file (rename it to .reg).
Avast Support Tool - https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB33#artTitle
Avast support - https://support.avast.com - submit a support ticket

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
Hi rocksteady, can you please confirm whether the issue persists even in 21.5 version or in current 21.6 BETA? Thank you and have a nice day!

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 03:12:31 PM »
Hi rocksteady, can you please confirm whether the issue persists even in 21.5 version or in current 21.6 BETA? Thank you and have a nice day!

I have just got round to trying out Rescue Disk after updating to 21.6.2474 (build 21.6.6446.561).
From the UI I was able to:
1. download rescuedisk.iso
2. create rescuedisk on a USB stick, overwriting the old rescuedisk.

I booted the USB OK.
Command prompt opens OK.
Registry Editor opens OK.
Virus Scan runs OK, but not possible to update virus defs.
Browser does not function.
So I give this version of RescueDisk 6/10.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 02:47:29 PM »

I have just got round to trying out Rescue Disk after updating to 21.6.2474 (build 21.6.6446.561).
From the UI I was able to:
1. download rescuedisk.iso
2. create rescuedisk on a USB stick, overwriting the old rescuedisk.

I booted the USB OK.
Command prompt opens OK.
Registry Editor opens OK.
Virus Scan runs OK, but not possible to update virus defs.
Browser does not function.
So I give this version of RescueDisk 6/10.

Hi rocksteady, thank you for all the information. So the previous problem is fixed, that is great. Now, I assume you are giving 6/10 because of the virus defs update and the browser, right? If so, how to understand not possible to update or browser does not function? How were you connected to the network (cable, wifi)? Could you be more specific about it? Thank you.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 05:22:29 PM »
Now, I assume you are giving 6/10 because of the virus defs update and the browser, right? If so, how to understand not possible to update or browser does not function? How were you connected to the network (cable, wifi)? Could you be more specific about it? Thank you.
My internet connection is wifi to my broadband router.

FYI. In this version, my Registry again does not have any entry for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVAST Software\Avast\properties\RescueDisk