Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (NOW 4.7.979)  (Read 56192 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
The new version has now been officially released as v4.7.981. The beta program is now closed. Thanks to anyone who helped testing this release.

BTW, to switch from the beta to the official release version, simply invoke Program Update from within the avast GUI.

Hi again,

as promised, here's the new (pre-release) version of the upcoming update of avast! Home/Professional. The version is currently labeled as 4.7.971 (Edit April 11th: now 4.7.979).

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: link removed. That's about all it takes (provided you have the latest version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course).

There is a number of fixes in this release. Here's the list of most important changes:

• fixed extra-long duration of the boot-time scan under Windows Vista
  • WebShield: improved compatibility with Windows Vista (for details see here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27037.0)
  • WebShield: better support for HTTP method CONNECT in upstream proxy scenarios
  • fixed a minor memory leak in aswrdr.sys
  • auto-updates now use much less CPU resources (should not interfere with other CPU-intensive programs running on the computer, e.g. games)
  • added a new unpacker: "installers"; useful especially for detection of droppers
  • Outlook/Exchange provider: improved compatibility with Outlook 2007
  • boot-time scanner: fix for the case when there's the /NOGUIBOOT option in boot.ini
  • fixed a problem in Standard Shield under Windows Vista related to saving of Word 2007 documents on FAT partitions
  • email alerts now use correct formatting even for non-Latin characters
  • fixed a rare problem in Standard Shield related to handling of disk volumes mounted to NTFS directories
  • further enhancements in executable unpackers
  • fixed a bug in ZOO unpacker (special thanks to Jean-Sébastien Guay-Leroux)
  • task scheduler: it's now possible to specify which days of week the task should run
  • command-line scanner (ashCmd.exe) now supports a couple of more command-line options, mostly related to handling of infected files
  • added Macedonian, Croatian and Portuguese (not Brazil) language packs

Any comments on this release are very welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk[/size]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:46:26 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

joooo

Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.971)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Hi again,

as promised, here's the new (pre-release) version of the upcoming update of avast! Home/Professional. The version is currently labeled as 4.7.971.

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe. That's about all it takes (provided you have the latest version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course).

There is a number of fixes in this release. Here's the list of most important changes:

• fixed extra-long duration of the boot-time scan under Windows Vista
  • WebShield: improved compatibility with Windows Vista (for details see here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27037.0)
  • WebShield: better support for HTTP method CONNECT in upstream proxy scenarios
  • fixed a minor memory leak in aswrdr.sys
  • auto-updates now use much less CPU resources (should not interfere with other CPU-intensive programs running on the computer, e.g. games)
  • added a new unpacker: "installers"; useful especially for detection of droppers
  • Outlook/Exchange provider: improved compatibility with Outlook 2007
  • boot-time scanner: fix for the case when there's the /NOGUIBOOT option in boot.ini
  • fixed a problem in Standard Shield under Windows Vista related to saving of Word 2007 documents on FAT partitions
  • email alerts now use correct formatting even for non-Latin characters
  • fixed a rare problem in Standard Shield related to handling of disk volumes mounted to NTFS directories
  • further enhancements in executable unpackers
  • fixed a bug in ZOO unpacker (special thanks to Jean-Sébastien Guay-Leroux)
  • task scheduler: it's now possible to specify which days of week the task should run
  • command-line scanner (ashCmd.exe) now supports a couple of more command-line options, mostly related to handling of infected files
  • added Macedonian, Croatian and Portuguese (not Brazil) language packs

Any comments on this release are very welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk

Hello.
I have a suggestion: To improve desing of the alert window update, better the interface and the beauty. One asks:
When the interface and the beauty of avast will be modified?
When will be launched version 5.0?
Avast is best.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:21:48 PM by joooo »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »
I'm downloading it now on dial-up I expect to be here for a while ;D

I notice the one about email alerts bullet point, I have been trying to help someone with SMTP Alerts and neither he or I can get it to work, so I'm clutching at straws that this might have an effect though I doubt it as it seems unrelated to the problem.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13623.msg223407#msg223407 whilst I watch some paint dry wait for the beta download to complete.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:40 PM »
    task scheduler: it's now possible to specify which days of week the task should run
    Thanks. Very welcome.

command-line scanner (ashCmd.exe) now supports a couple of more command-line options, mostly related to handling of infected files
    Wouldn't this be possible for the Home/Pro version?
    It's strange and weird when the user cannot manage (delete/move/etc.) a file inside of an archive. People think that avast cannot handle them, the computer is infected, etc. Other problem is that we continue receive a virus message and the file cannot be processed by avast.
    It's a pity.[/list]
    The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
    • Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:06:49 PM »
    Downloading now will run a bootscan tomorrow

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
    • Advanced Poster
    • Amiga Power!
    « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:23 PM »
    New beta? HURRAY...will download and test it right away!

When will be launched version 5.0?

When it's ready...  ;D
    "The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 02:21:54 AM »
    It seems to run well on my machine  ;)
    May I ask what is this the beta of ? Is it an early 4.8 ?

Thanks

Al968

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
    • Certainly Bot
    • No support PMs thanks
    « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 02:37:44 AM »
    Just some fixes (problems previously covered in the forums and solutions found) and improvements listed above being given a run out as a beta prior to general release as a program update.
    Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

strangequark

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:47:45 AM »
    just ran a boot time scan with the beta patch, the time problem I had with vista seems to have been fixed.
    thanks guys, and nice and quick coming out with the patch, looking forward to the proper release.

y2kboy23

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 10:44:20 AM »
    Just installed on Vista Business and it seems that Vista is now more responsive.  Good job guys and thanks for the update.

Erroneus

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
    Installed and rebooted, wouldn't go past the login "welcome" box.

Rebooted and this time I could login, but none of the avast providers/shields/scanners was running.
    Restarted the avast service and all the providers started up again.

This is from the Windows event viewer, under the Antivirus section:

Code: [Select]
    Error: 31-03-2007 11:05:15
    AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: avworkInitialize failed, 00000002.
    id: 90

Information: 31-03-2007 11:05:15
    aswServ::AavmStart ERROR... 
    id: 90

And this is from Error.log in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log

31-03-2007 11:05:15 1175331915 SYSTEM 2104 AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: avworkInitialize failed, 00000002.

And this is from Warning.log in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log

31-03-2007 11:05:15 1175331915 SYSTEM 2104 aswServ::AavmStart ERROR...
    Running Windows Vista Buisness Danish.

Don't know if this is a unique case, but there you have it.

*Update*
    32 bit btw.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:36:46 PM by Erroneus »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
    • Serious Graphoman
    • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
      • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
    « Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:02:22 PM »
    Works great on Vista Home Premium x86. So far no issues. I just missed the progress bars while updating it to beta version on Vista :(
    Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
    • Certainly Bot
    « Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 02:04:11 PM »
    Works great on Vista Home Premium x86. So far no issues. I just missed the progress bars while updating it to beta version on Vista :(
    Forget to mention this... On XP SP2 it worked once, another failed. The bars did not appear when I tried, yesterday, an installation on 2k SP4.
    The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
    • Avast Überevangelist
    • Probably Bot
    • Dragons by Sasha
      • Malware fixes
    « Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
    Downloaded, installed, scanned, worked.  Nuff said  ;D

drahnier

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 04:09:16 PM »
    I have tons of these errors in my event log (Vista Businees 32bit on Thinkpad), and I had them with the previous version of avast, too:

AAVM - scanning error: FATAL: GetQueuedCompletionStatus failed!!!!!, 00000006. 
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:13:06 PM by drahnier »