Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (NOW 4.7.979)  (Read 56006 times)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.971)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
Downloaded and installed with no problems. Thanks.

Can someone please point me to the Task Scheduler. The dummy here can't find it.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »
What is it your trying to do ?
What version of avast are you using Home or Pro ?
It isn't in the Home version unless you are talking about windows Task Scheduler.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:56 PM »
I have tons of these errors in my event log (Vista Businees 32bit on Thinkpad), and I had them with the previous version of avast, too:

AAVM - scanning error: FATAL: GetQueuedCompletionStatus failed!!!!!, 00000006. 

According to vlk you can just ignore those error messages

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26527.msg218040#msg218040
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »
What is it your trying to do ?
What version of avast are you using Home or Pro ?
It isn't in the Home version unless you are talking about windows Task Scheduler.

I thought the beta of Home had a  Virus Scan scheduler built in. Thanks for the reply.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Vlk, last time you mentioned that Armadillo unpacker will be available in this update (or it's not major enough?). And what are the additional unpackers? Yeah, i know, i'm very curious ;D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
@ jadinolf
No only in the Pro version though there is a work around.

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 09:31:34 PM »
@ jadinolf
No only in the Pro version though there is a work around.

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

Thanks for that, DavidR :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
Your welcome.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
Vlk, last time you mentioned that Armadillo unpacker will be available in this update (or it's not major enough?). And what are the additional unpackers? Yeah, i know, i'm very curious ;D

I'm afraid the Armadillo unpacker won't make it into this build. I've already received the source code from a developper, but I didn't have time to integrate it into avast! yet (it won't be exactly easy). But it seems that the number of Armadillo packed malware decreased in the last months; some new packers are getting used more frequently.
Regarding the new packers... some Chinese packers, pretty common these days, have been included. With the "Installer" packer, avast! unpacks Wise installers and also looks for embedded executables (common in various droppers). More to come, hopefully (and I'll also do my best to include Armadillo finally).

rayi7332

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
Downloaded and installed without a hitch. Had to reboot my machine twice to complete, but then it worked fine. So far so good, no errors yet. :D Scan throughput seems good, negligible impact on system resources while performing other operations. Ashserv and Aswebserv look good in Wintop, very little CPU usage on a minimal test machine, P MMX@ 233Mhz, 144Mb RAM, 2.58G HDD, circa 1997!
Thanks ALWIL.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 09:43:36 PM »
Thanks for the info igor :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 11:05:09 PM »
I thought the beta of Home had a  Virus Scan scheduler built in. Thanks for the reply.
No, it hasn't. Only the Pro version allows scheduling as David said.

Vlk or Igor, what should the XP SP2 users test on this beta phase?
The best things in life are free.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »
No, it hasn't. Only the Pro version allows scheduling as David said.

Vlk or Igor, what should the XP SP2 users test on this beta phase?
This why I asked (from the original post):
task scheduler: it's now possible to specify which days of week the task should run

cyfer

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 04:06:24 AM »
Beta is working fabulous so far.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 04:11:44 AM »
Beta is working fabulous so far.
No problems here. :)