Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (NOW 4.7.979)  (Read 56004 times)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.971)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
Beta is working fabulous so far.
No problems here. :)

Working just fine here also!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Erroneus

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
I am having huge problems with this build, hanging at "Welcome" right after I typed in my password, requires a hard-reset for me to login.

Nothing interesting in logs though, gonna uninstall Avast completely to make sure if it is the one causing the problems.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »
Everything fine but why don't you guys add "Virus Chest" access to "a" ball right click menu? It's so annyoing to have icon on desktop for it or to run simple interface first and then chest. This is the easiest thing to do compared to complex unpackers and decryptors and many of us would really like to see it. It has been requested many times and still nothing.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 11:49:15 PM »
I would second that and pipe in for the Virus Database to be available without having to go through the simple user interface, I haven't been able to find a way to create a desktop shortcut like you can for ashChest.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mouniernetwork

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 02:36:28 AM »
One option that would be realy useful would be an addition on the context menu when you right click a file, like the "scan (and the name of the selected file)" exept that this would add the file to the chest.
It would make submitting file a lot easier  ;)

Al968

tls

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 03:35:45 AM »
Downloaded and installed on both my XP SP2 (pro) and my daughter's old Win98se (home), with no problems on either; both working great!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 04:39:34 AM »
I would second that and pipe in for the Virus Database to be available without having to go through the simple user interface, I haven't been able to find a way to create a desktop shortcut like you can for ashChest.exe.
David, do you mean what I've posted in the screenshot?
Indeed, there isn't a way to get into it by a link...

It would make submitting file a lot easier  ;)
I would ask for a cascaded menu (as winzip, or 7-zip, or IZArc, etc., there are other applications with cascaded menu... it's not that difficult).
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »
Vlk or Igor, what should the XP SP2 users test on this beta phase?

Don't know about anything in particular... so I guess just the usual things you normally do (with avast!) ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 09:51:03 AM »
Had to reboot my machine twice to complete, but then it worked fine. So far so good, no errors yet. :D Scan throughput seems good, negligible impact on system resources while performing other operations. Ashserv and Aswebserv look good in Wintop, very little CPU usage on a minimal test machine, P MMX@ 233Mhz, 144Mb RAM, 2.58G HDD, circa 1997!

Why twice? What happened after the first reboot?
Btw, what's this "Windows 98 Millennium Edition" in your signature? So it is Win98, or WinME? ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:47 AM »
I am having huge problems with this build, hanging at "Welcome" right after I typed in my password, requires a hard-reset for me to login.

Nothing interesting in logs though, gonna uninstall Avast completely to make sure if it is the one causing the problems.

That's really strange. The previous build of avast! was working without any problems?
Do you have any other low-level programs installed? (firewall, anti-spyware, ...)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 09:58:49 AM »
This is from the Windows event viewer, under the Antivirus section:

Code: [Select]
Error: 31-03-2007 11:05:15
AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: avworkInitialize failed, 00000002.
id: 90

Did the on-demand scanners (Simple User Interface, Explorer Extensions) work correctly (after you managed to log in)?

Erroneus

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »
Quote from: igor
That's really strange. The previous build of avast! was working without any problems?
Do you have any other low-level programs installed? (firewall, anti-spyware, ...)

Yep and today I uninstalled Avast completely, no problems. Then installed the 942 build and still no problems. Gonna try out the beta build later today again and see what happens.

Using Windows Vista firewall and Windows Defender, nothing else.

Quote from: igor
Did the on-demand scanners (Simple User Interface, Explorer Extensions) work correctly (after you managed to log in)?
Didn't check, will do next time, if the bug appears again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
David, do you mean what I've posted in the screenshot?
Indeed, there isn't a way to get into it by a link...

I would ask for a cascaded menu (as winzip, or 7-zip, or IZArc, etc., there are other applications with cascaded menu... it's not that difficult).

Yes that is what I mean there is no easy to get into the Virus Database, other than through the Simple (or Enhanced) User Interface and menu or right click.

I agree that the avast icon, context menu needs revised and cascade options would reduce the clutter, the one thing that should be the easiest to get at, 'the avast Help file' is buried. You either have to open the SUI, menu, help (or F1) or windows, start, all programs, avast antivirus, help, that simply it too deep and should be on the avast icon context menu also. If for any reason you can't use the skinning then the SUI won't even open for you to access the help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

y2kboy23

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
So I ran a complete scan tonight and noticed a visual bug when you idea over the Simple User Interface and the the window preview, there is a blue border on two sides that shouldn't be there.  I'm using Vista Business 32-bit.  Screenshot is attached.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »
So I ran a complete scan tonight and noticed a visual bug when you idea over the Simple User Interface and the the window preview, there is a blue border on two sides that shouldn't be there.  I'm using Vista Business 32-bit.  Screenshot is attached.
I can't resize the screenshot to see, but does this occur with other skins?
The best things in life are free.