Author Topic: AMD Sempron vs. Athlon 64  (Read 19483 times)

Groomerdriver

AMD Sempron vs. Athlon 64
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:34:40 PM »
Please help me my friends!

Is the Athlon 64 that much better than a Sempron?  Still looking for a 3rd home PC and one I found has the Sempron.  Most PC's that I've been looking at with AMD's have had the Athlon 64.

Your opinions please!!

Thanks!

Jim

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: AMD Sempron vs. Athlon 64
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »
This comparison chart may be a bit more detailed than you're looking for, but it will help you sort out the features of the various chips. Click on "View all products":

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

Also, if you haven't already done so, browse through the AMD website for additional information:

http://www.amd.com

Personally, I have no preference between AMD and Intel. Both are good products. Your choice there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a computer with an AMD chip.

To generalize...

If your computing needs lean toward just web browsing, email, word processing, and some photo editing and music downloading, go with the Sempron. It provides good performance, and is cost effective. (If you use Linux, add 1 gig of RAM, and you have a fine box indeed.  :))

If, in addition to what's listed above, you're into gaming, video downloading, and more "advanced" tasks with a computer, you might look at the Athlon family of processors.

Is the Athlon 64 that much better than a Sempron?

To answer your question directly, no, both are fine. One's not "better" than the other, there are just different expectations from each family of processors.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:24:17 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
Hard to top orangecrate's post but just to add that The Sempron is AMD's value line of processors much like intel's Celeron line. Having said that its still a good chip. the current semprons are 64-bit but all semprons are single core where Athlons come in both dual and single core versions.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
Please help me my friends!

Is the Athlon 64 that much better than a Sempron?  Still looking for a 3rd home PC and one I found has the Sempron.  Most PC's that I've been looking at with AMD's have had the Athlon 64.

Your opinions please!!

Thanks!

Jim

You will have to be more specific than that . You see there are many different Sempron versions out there and not all offer the same performance. Eg. you have Semprons based on the old athlon xp core , semprons based on the athlon 64 core , semprons with 128kb l2 cache(i advise against those) semprons with 256 kb l2 cache etc.
I would advise to go with the athlon 64 since they are so cheap these days. But if you can add a little extra money go with an amd x2 series or if you can squeeze out a little more Intel's e4xxx and e6xxx series are the best cpu's money can buy these days.
But like OrangeCrate said it really all comes down to what you will be using that machine for.
If you can give us some links to the configurations you are interested in we can analyze them together and help you decide.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:11:34 AM »
AMD Sempron is equal to Barton core CPU (AthlonXP).
AMD Sempron 754 is the same as Athlon 64 for socket S754 except it has no x64 support.
AMD Athlon 64 for S754 and S939 are full featured Athlons from Athlon64 series.
AMD Athlon X2 is a dual core Athlon 64 CPU
AMD Athlon FX is an enthusiast class CPU, basically the same as Athlon 64, just with extra L2 cache and insane speeds.
AMD Opteron is a server/workstation CPU

Either way i'd go with Athlon64 or X2. Actually today i'd go only with X2. There are S939 models but you'll need AM2 socket mobo for these. If you have budget, go with Core 2 Duo/Quad or just wait for AMD's Barcelona core ;D Dual core rox if you like speed when compressing/decompressing files, rendering 3D scenes or just want to use your PC normally when performing extremelly intensive tasks. Just asign the program to second core and PC will remain as responsive as when it's idling.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:40:18 AM »
@Rejzor: Very well said my fellow countryman but you forgot about the AM2 Sempron's which differ from the s754 Sempron's only in that they now feature a dual channel memory ddr 2 controller(the old ones only worked in single channel mode) and of course a new socket. :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 01:01:11 AM »
Yes, that too, but DualChannel has little to no effect on Athlons :( Intel chips always showed bigger gains with DC enabled...

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:53 AM »
How true!
Lucky for me i am on Intel now and plan on keeping it that way for awhile. I just like the core duo so much ...  ;D

Here's a review for one of those AM2 Semprons if anyone is interested ... http://www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=2004

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »
Hehe, C2D E4300 here ;D To bad my overclock already stopped at only 2,4GHz :( Not sure whether it's CPU or mobo problem... Still it's one hell of a CPU even at 2,4GHz. Somewhere on the E6600 level minus 4MB cache of course. Athlons X2 are cheaper but when you look at the fact that even X2 5000+ is barelly keeping up with just E4300/E6300 it just makes no sense in using it.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »
Hehe, C2D E4300 here ;D To bad my overclock already stopped at only 2,4GHz :( Not sure whether it's CPU or mobo problem... Still it's one hell of a CPU even at 2,4GHz. Somewhere on the E6600 level minus 4MB cache of course. Athlons X2 are cheaper but when you look at the fact that even X2 5000+ is barelly keeping up with just E4300/E6300 it just makes no sense in using it.

I am also using the e4300 and i have to say i am really happy with it !  :)

I know this cpu can OC to 3ghz easily but unfortunately this is the most i could squeeze out of my mobo(asrock 4coredual-vsta). No problem though as the performance is stunningly good at this frequency.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »
Its very good considering the core voltage level shown on CPU-Z if your MB could up the core voltage it might go further but you then need to look at your heatsink and fan and monitor temps, but they are low to start with.

The E4300 is really rated as a great value good overclocking option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »
I tried mine at 1,55 volts with no luck. Just won't go any higher than 2,4GHz (1066MHz QDR FSB).
Cooler is so effective i can run it completelly passive.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
THis is some intense stuff folks!!!  I'm only looking for a 3rd PC for the house.  Mild gaming, CD burning, watching DVD's (not much), MS Office Programs and surfing.  Do want a larger HD to store photos, and this PC will become the "parents" PC, and the one I'm on now (1.5 P4, 512mb, 128mb Radeon 9500 card, 200gig Seagte HD) get's handed down to the young kids room.

Need to spend <USD300 to my choices are limited.

Keep the comments coming!!  I really enjoy reading the replies!!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:51:57 PM by Groomerdriver »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »
Well, in that case, Athlon 64 3200+/3400+/3500+ should do it. You can also check Athlon X2 4200+ if you want budget dual core CPU.

Groomerdriver

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »
Well, in that case, Athlon 64 3200+/3400+/3500+ should do it. You can also check Athlon X2 4200+ if you want budget dual core CPU.

So far I've had a hard time finding the above for under USD300.  If they come up, they go FAST!!