Author Topic: AMD Sempron vs. Athlon 64  (Read 19480 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AMD Sempron vs. Athlon 64
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
Well having a budget is a great start point and only those on the first 4 on the first page of the above link apply. Based on your requirements which aren't to demanding, the mild gaming is probably the main factor that requires processor and graphics power and if you aren't going to be trying the latest games that require v-powerful graphics.

All of them have integrated graphics which aren't particularly powerful and they will also eat into your RAM as some of that is allocated to graphics. Adding extra RAM at purchase costs little ($29.99 for an extra 512MB) and would improve overall performance.

The first system appears to offer good value and allows for extra RAM and possibly stretch to a better external VGA graphics card. However, none of the systems mentioned come with a monitor. You could pick up a very cheap CTR one or possibly a small TFT.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
@DavidR: This cpu shouldn't require an increase in voltage with speeds below or up to 2.8-3.0ghz  ;) It's the asrock mobo that's holding me back , usually these mobos can go up to around 290 fsb. That's if you're lucky as some people reported they can't even go over 270. Mine hits the wall at 297 BTW. Here's a review of the mobo:

http://www.pro-clockers.com/review.php?id=207

And these are my full load temps after torturing both cores with Orthos for a couple hours(cooler Zalman CNPS9500 AT):

@Groomerdriver: I guess this one falls in your category but it's a pretty weak machine so it won't be exactly good for gaming. It's fine for normal usage though. What games do you play BTW?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:27:21 PM by Hard_ROCKER »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
Thanks, those Temps are good, especially after load testing, my poor old over-clocked AMD XP-M is at 39-40c at the moment, but I have my CPU fan dialled right down at 1650 rpm for the quiet. I have been an ardent AMD fan for many years, feeling the Intel were really over priced and hotter than Hades compared to AMD.

Now the Core 2 Duo has turned that on its head and the heat is on AMD so to speak, whilst they are a little more expensive than many of the AMD x2 CPUs it isn't that much, but the value for money is aspect is hard to beat (low power, low temps, good performance and OC potential). AMD really have to pull their socks up if they are not to be totally left behind, I hope this doesn't happen as CPU prices would I fear creep higher with a lack of competition, not good for us the consumer.

It will be a while before I upgrade my system, not being a gamer of video editor, etc. I can wait and see how the future develops.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
...I'm only looking for a 3rd PC for the house...

...look at some of the boxes I'm looking at, check this link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/openbox/openbox_slc.asp?CatId=6&category=Desktop%20Computers

Need to spend <USD300 to my choices are limited.

All the technical jargon and advice aside, for your limited needs, and budget target, any of those would be O.K. (All of those boxes are better than the six year old HP 512n I have.)

Take David's advice, and bump the RAM to 1 Gig when you can. As he said, RAM is cheap, and the benefit is great. If you ever need additional storage, external hard drives are cheap too.

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it for future reference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 09:47:15 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
...The first system appears to offer good value and allows for extra RAM and possibly stretch to a better external VGA graphics card...

Agreed. In fact, I may buy one of those myself - the price is definitely right, and the hardware setup is Linux friendly.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:30:13 PM by OrangeCrate »

Groomerdriver

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 11:48:14 PM »
...The first system appears to offer good value and allows for extra RAM and possibly stretch to a better external VGA graphics card...

Agreed. In fact, I may buy one of those myself - the price is definitely right, and the hardware setup is Linux friendly.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:52:44 PM by Groomerdriver »

Groomerdriver

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 11:49:37 PM »
Did one of you guys buy that $229 system??!!!!!  :-\ :'(

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »

Not me, is it gone?

Groomerdriver

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »

Not me, is it gone?

yes.... :'(

THey'll have more...I just have to be patient.  The thing I dont want to do is be penny wise and dollar foolish, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can b4 I buy.  Tiger is a good place to buy stuff....my employers and I have been buying stuff from them for years and have never had a problem.

FYI - Ultra brand memory (supposed to be one of the better choices) is on sale (ends tonite).  512 DDR 3200 for $30 after rebate.  Was going to buy this if I would have bought a PC.   

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 12:03:06 AM »
yes.... :'(

Rats. That really was a good buy. I'll watch too, and PM you if I see them again. Do the same for me...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:10:07 AM by OrangeCrate »

CharleyO

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 05:59:32 AM »

If you are to use this computer for viewing dvds as stated above, I would stay away from older graphics such as the GeForce4 Mx (2 on that link had this) as that is now very old and will decrease dvd viewing pleasure. I had one of those cards about 5 years ago and in it's time, it was ok. But, I would not want to use it these days ... especially with dvds and other video applications.

Just my 2 cents worth.    :)

Groomerdriver

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:32 PM »

If you are to use this computer for viewing dvds as stated above, I would stay away from older graphics such as the GeForce4 Mx (2 on that link had this) as that is now very old and will decrease dvd viewing pleasure. I had one of those cards about 5 years ago and in it's time, it was ok. But, I would not want to use it these days ... especially with dvds and other video applications.

Just my 2 cents worth.    :)

What about a GeForce 6100?

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 04:03:53 PM »

It doesn't specify exactly which chip set it has, but this might be helpful:

NVIDIA® GeForce 6100 / nForce 430
The brand new NVIDIA® GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 MCP (Media and Communications Processor) features CineFX™ 3.0 Engine. This unique combination of MCP creates a single motherboard featuring a world-class DX9, Shader Model 3.0 GPU for faster and smoother game-play, a high quality video processing engine for advance quality of video and DVD playback.

If you decide to get it, I wouldn't wait too long...  ;)

Edit:

Just saw your PM, and responded - Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:10:40 PM by OrangeCrate »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Better than a geforce 4mx no doubt there ... ;)

Review: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2539