Author Topic: Where does Avast write its boot time log?  (Read 5487 times)

wolf.

Where does Avast write its boot time log?
« on: March 31, 2007, 04:56:35 AM »
During my first boot time scan Avast moved some files, how do I put them back?
I know this sounds rudimentary, but I don't know exactly which drive or directory they came from.

I just installed Avast and it asked if I wanted it to run after it rebooted my machine. The gravity of clicking yes didn't strike me until it started identifying some of my networking tools as trojans. Before it found these files it found some infected file (the ones I installed it to find), there were a lot of them so I chose for Avast to "move all" the files believing that it would keep a log of what it did, but none of the logs have any data in them (except for the installation log). Only about 30 of the files are the ones I want to restore, but it would be so much easier if the boot time scan left a log somewhere.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Where does Avast write its boot time log?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:05:41 AM »
...Avast4\Data\Report\ashboot.txt
It would be easier if you have sent the files to Chest... then you could restore them...
Welcome to forums 8)
The best things in life are free.

wolf.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:19:02 AM »
I was young and desperate ... I didn't know what to do <grin>

Thanks. Yes clicking restore would be easier, but it would have taken me hours to figure out where those files used to live. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
No need to work out where files used to live if they are sent to the chest that information is recorded and clicking restore send it back to the original location.

The best/safest option is Move to Chest as it is a much more flexible option and files can't do any harm there as it is a protected area, the <avast4>data\moved folder is outside the chest and doesn't have this protection.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security