Author Topic: 'saturday 14th-669' and 'whiplash 4592-b'? Also it is recurring in PAGEFILE.SYS  (Read 14588 times)

sonny082006

Good day,for the past 3 days my pc always "stop" & blue screen mesages prompt "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR...begining to dump physical memory..." and some beeps were sounding in my cpu until it continues to beep. Sometimes I'm  unable to boot in my hardisk but with the help  of  rescue disk it can boot again... then restart my pc but it slow my pc and connections so i download bitdefender because AVG & avg antispyware can't see the virus even  spybot,adaware & bitdefender...until i update my Avast and scan both c; & d: under win98=c: (d:=XP).My question is why both filename pagefile.sys in C: & d: were infected by 'saturday 14th-669' and 'whiplash 4592-b'? Also it is recurring, which seems Avast didn't really deleted the virus because everytime I boot it is always there.
Is it Possible that it has other remnants the stated virus? Where can I find the cure ?Pls post some info with these 2 virus which is in my pc and how to prevent and other cure for d virus.thanks and best regards...

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Hi sonny082006,

If you have AVG Anti-Virus, Bitdefender and avast! installed on your computer, they will conflict and cause serious stability problems.

You must have only one AV installed. Having three installed at the same time may well be the source of you instability problems.

The detection in pagefile.sys may well be a false positive:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26157.0

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12372.msg104379#msg104379

The pagefile.sys file is just the computer's virtual memory: RAM written to disk. It is not reloaded after a boot. To check for malware active in memory, do a memory scan with avast! (just start the scanner- the memory scan is run automatically), AVG Anti-Spyware or alternatively a-Squared:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

sonny082006

...thanks for prompt reply free...i've downloaded spysweeper 5.0 my question is , is it effective and freeware? if not i won't extract the exe file anymore because my protection software would be many and i dont want to cuase some conflict on my pc.Again thank you very much...

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
Effective? Yes Freeware? No.

You should have one AV and (optionally) one anti-spyware with real-time protection.

You can have several anti-spyware scanners, e.g., Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware free, Avg Anti-Spyware  free, a-squared free.

If you want real-time anti-spyware protection, the free options are Windows Defender (poor detection) or Spyware Terminator.

The paid options (better detection rates) are Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor or CounterSpy.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:52:08 AM by FreewheelinFrank »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
A google search for the kernel problem returns many hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=KERNEL+STACK+INPAGE+ERROR... As Frank said though any instability could be caused by multiple resident AVs installed.

If you are using Bitdefender free, then that should be OK as an on-demand scanner, just pause the Standard Shield before starting another security scan.

It is possible to exclude the pagefile.sys from scans (I have, ?:/pagefile.sys the ? excludes the file in different drives, see image), I though that it was by default possibly not. You could also add it to, Program Settings, Exclusions for on-demand scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

Another approach would be to turn off the page file, reboot, turn the page file back on and boot again.  You may need to do this for both partitions unless you're sharing the pagefile between them.

But as FwFrank and DavidR, remove AVG Antivirus first.

EDIT:  The pagefile might be called the swapfile under Windows 98 (I don't remember which).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:07:21 PM by mauserme »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
If you are using Bitdefender free, then that should be OK as an on-demand scanner, just pause the Standard Shield before starting another security scan.

Last time I tried, even this caused major problems. Mind you, that was probably a year or so ago now.

I think Bitdefender 8 worked OK with avast! but 9 caused problems: the problems certainly started after a version upgrade.

mauserme

I think v9 was a resident av.  Maybe you had an evaluation copy?

The current free version is still 8

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/view/Download-Free-Products.html

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
Maybe I'm thinking of 7 to 8, but neither was resident.

sonny082006

...thanks for all reply, now i think that my downloaded bitdefender(free) is the cause because when i run it under safemode in XP an error on virus shield was reflected...now i'm thinking of deleting either bitdefender in my XP or stick to AVG,while on my windows 98 still dedicated to Avast.Thanks a lot and also for not deleting my old account...

sonny082006

Another approach would be to turn off the page file, reboot, turn the page file back on and boot again.  You may need to do this for both partitions unless you're sharing the pagefile between them.
...may I ask how to do this...turn off the pagefile?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
On Windows XP you can go Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance.
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

On Windows XP you can go Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance.
Yes, but first notate your settings so you can recreate them when you turn the page file back on. 

After turning paging off and prior to turning it on again rename C:\pagefile.sys to C:\pagefile.old.  The .sys version should be recreated when you turn paging back on.  If that all goes as expected pagefile.old can then be deleted.

Note:  You may need to change your folder options to Show Hidden Files and Folders in order to see pagefile.sys
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:57:27 PM by mauserme »