Author Topic: Avast VPN internet speed very slow. Without Avast VPN, internet speed is good.  (Read 4670 times)

Offline g.dan4202

For the past several days, my Internet speed has been about 50% or less of normal when using my Avast VPN.  Despite this, I continue to need the security provided by the VPN.  I have for a short period of time, tested the speed without Avast VPN and the speed is what I pay my ISP for, about 18 Mps.  With Avast VPN I am now getting about 7 to 9 Mps.  This is not normal.  Are other's having this problem? 

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Hi,

Have you experienced this with different VPN locations?
Please try changing the "VPN Protocol" ("Menu" > "Settings" > "EXPERIMENTAL")

Offline nadimmahmudkitkat1

THere is now on windows 7 avast vpn experimental option. :'( :'(

Offline g.dan4202

I have tried a number of different locations in different cities and nations.  The Internet Speed while using the Avast VPN is still very slow. 
Under experimental settings, I have tried using "Automatic", "Open VPN" and "Avast Mimic".  All are very slow. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/21/21 at  9:35 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was 15.31 Mbps while on Avast VPN. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/21/21 at  9:37 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was  9.68 Mbps while on Avast VPN.   I rechecked my Internet speed as the Internet suddenly slowed down. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/22/21 at  6:09 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was 6.82 Mbps while on Avast VPN.   My non-VPN speed continues to be very good. 

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
THere is now on windows 7 avast vpn experimental option. :'( :'(

Hi,

This feature is only on Windows 10.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/63/#idt_1300

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
I have tried a number of different locations in different cities and nations.  The Internet Speed while using the Avast VPN is still very slow. 
Under experimental settings, I have tried using "Automatic", "Open VPN" and "Avast Mimic".  All are very slow. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/21/21 at  9:35 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was 15.31 Mbps while on Avast VPN. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/21/21 at  9:37 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was  9.68 Mbps while on Avast VPN.   I rechecked my Internet speed as the Internet suddenly slowed down. 
My "Speedtest" on 05/22/21 at  6:09 PM, Pacific Daylight Time"  U.S. was 6.82 Mbps while on Avast VPN.   My non-VPN speed continues to be very good.

Hi,

15.31Mbps would be normal. A VPN can slow down the speed depending on different network variables. Generally selecting "Optimal location" in Avast SecureLine should provide you with the fastest speed (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Use-SecureLine-VPN-standalone/#idt_035)
If you are experiencing slowness with all/most VPN servers, then something on your side probably changed (perhaps a recent Windows update).

Offline carlosfrancavilla

The same problem with diferents servers. My ISP speed is 300 mbps, vith avast vpn on is only 29 mbps

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
The same problem with diferents servers. My ISP speed is 300 mbps, vith avast vpn on is only 29 mbps

Hi,
Have you only noticed this behaviour recently?
You can try the following:
1. Changing the "VPN Protocol" ("Menu" > "Settings" > "EXPERIMENTAL")?
2. Rebooting your router.
3. You could also test the VPN on a different network (e.g. mobile hotspot), this should give you an indication as to whether the slowness is directly related to your ISP.

Offline diwax

• May the Sunshine on you always :-)
I decided to not renew my subscription next month. I gave it year... and it's so slow that it was constantly disconnecting. Even using suggestions already mentioned. I also live in an area with poor internet service. It is a tourist area and they are here the service sucks. When they aren't like now this is what I get
Internet speed test
015102050100+
Megabits per second
Testing upload...

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 31 ms
Server: Seattle
Your Internet connection is very fast.
Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time. 
EXCEPT WHEN THE TOURISTS ARE HERE