Author Topic: IS DISABLE AN OPTION  (Read 8297 times)

info_bug

IS DISABLE AN OPTION
« on: February 18, 2004, 04:34:21 PM »
 I would like to know if I can install Avast to my system without uninstalling my present anti virus program? Now I know you can't run both at same time. But I was thinking of disabling the antivirus program from running instead of uninstalling it ( nortin AV). Not sure if this is away I should go.  
  I went thru the forum but can't find anything on the subject of just disabling it to try avast.
  I do like the forum you have very well done.
  Thankyou for your time  :)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: IS DISABLE AN OPTION
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:57:22 PM »
you cant do that. avast will detect norton is installed (By seeing certian .dll files)and will not start the on access scanner
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 05:00:44 PM »
MAC-lover is correct.

Disabling is a good option for every scanner, but not for Norton > it even loads its drivers when "completely" disabled.

My advive > get rid of Norton (use Norton cleaner from there website), and install Avast.

Norton is like an octopus, it has tentakles everywere on your PC.

Waldo

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:04:21 PM »
My advive > get rid of Norton (use Norton cleaner from there website), and install Avast.
and run a registry cleaner lile beclean
to make sure it has no more "tentakles" on your system
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

info_bug

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 03:15:54 AM »
  I have to thankyou for your quick response to my question. :D  I have to aquire the cleaner from norton so I haven't proceed yet.  You mentioned to you use a registry cleaner to, will Registry Mechanic do for that purpose?
  I know you might me partial to Avast. How would you compare it to norton Av to Avast 4 home/pro?  Tryimg to make a decsion on repurchasing norton or not.  I did install on Avast on a friends computer and liked the usabilty of the program, did find a few virus on that system. I was impressed with the program.
 Thank You for the  response.   ;D

HAVE A NICE DAY

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 03:41:08 AM »
I first got avast (4-home) on the recommendation of friends, who said that on a number of occasions avast had caught things for them that had managed to slip past Norton.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 08:32:46 AM »
Avast just plain rules......I build and troubleshoot computers for many people, and ill reccomend avast over any other Av's period....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 03:59:36 AM »
 I have to thankyou for your quick response to my question. :D  I have to aquire the cleaner from norton so I haven't proceed yet.  You mentioned to you use a registry cleaner to, will Registry Mechanic do for that purpose?
  I know you might me partial to Avast. How would you compare it to norton Av to Avast 4 home/pro?  Tryimg to make a decsion on repurchasing norton or not.  I did install on Avast on a friends computer and liked the usabilty of the program, did find a few virus on that system. I was impressed with the program.
 Thank You for the  response.   ;D

HAVE A NICE DAY

Undoubtly, avast!  ;D

If you have installed NAV anytime in your computer (even in the past)...  >:(
Remove Norton is one of the most difficult things in earth...
Get away from it!!! Do not install more than one antivirus program (resident). Norton is the monster of the monsters... Never gets out of the registry... The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well. See here.

Take care!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 03:39:56 PM »
will Registry Mechanic do for that purpose?
it should do the trick. also be SURE to visit technical's link it gives very in depth instructions  ;)